Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This morning I was offered an interview with a company for whom I would be required to produce catalogues, branding and general graphic design solutions.

During the discussion, the employer asked if i had any experience of updating web pages. At present I am in the initial stages of learning Dreamweaver and when I told him this, he said he thought that updating websites through Photoshop was a far more common method, rather than using DW.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me more about this PS method? I have never heard of it, although I must stress that at present I am an absolute beginner when it comes to aspects of web design.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious or this topic has been covered before

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    What do you mean by "update"?
    There are several ways to edit content, upload files, over-write images, banners, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Photoshop is used to create and update the graphics for websites, including the overall look and feel (PSD templates).

Fireworks can be used to create and update HTML web templates very efficiently and effectively from Photoshop files. It works very well with Photoshop.

Dreamweaver is used to manage individual pages in websites and to create and update their content.

Member #
    miseim - From what I know so far, 'updating' would involve editing text, replacing old catalogue photographs with new and perhaps manipulating banners.

smoseley - From what you've said can I assume that I would either use PS and Fireworks together, or alternatively just DW by itself?

From what small experience in web design i've had so far i've been led to believe that Dreamweaver is the most common way of creating, editing and uploading a website.

Perhaps this is not the case?

Thanks for all help so far!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Jonny,
    Dreamweaver (DW) is the most common way to do pages for those that don't
    normally do coding or programming. You'll find that using DW requires changes
    to be made on your PC, and then you upload the pages using the built-in FTP that
    DW provides.

In order to be able to have your "clients" make changes themselves, online, you need
    to use some server-side scripting (programming), such as PHP and MySQL.
    Normally called CMS (content management systems), that becomes a whole different
    way of doing your web pages. PHP can only be run on a server, not on your normal PC.
    That means you might be able to write code using the text editor in DW, but you have to
    upload the changes to see how the script performs.

You obviously also need to know PHP (and most likely MySQL databases).

So, you're on track to learn HTML and CSS using Dreamweaver, but try to think ahead
    about future website needs.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Well, you can update your web pages by using Photoshop in a sense that you can redesign or can make some changes in the design of web pages, and after completing the design of the web pages, just implement these design....

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfox
    smoseley - From what you've said can I assume that I would either use PS and Fireworks together, or alternatively just DW by itself?
    No.

Photoshop makes graphics very well for any industry (and very poorly makes templates via image slicing)

Fireworks makes graphics very well for the web industry, AND makes templates from those graphics via image / layer slicing and HTML template generation.

Dreamweaver makes websites, which are a compilation of already-sliced images and many, many HTML templates and pages, as well as possibly includes and server-side scripting / programming.

---

The key is to understand the 3 stages of web design.

1. The first is graphic concept. This is an image representing what your website will look like. Most designers would use Photoshop for this, though Fireworks is capable of it as well.

2. The second stage is slicing that image into smaller images for use in your website, and creating the HTML and CSS "template" that reassembles those images into a web-ready layout. Photoshop does this poorly. If you're going to use a tool for this, use Fireworks. Otherwise, learn to do it manually.

3. The third stage is taking that web-ready template/layout and doing something with it - creating many iterations of it with different content and creating menus that interlink between pages, or integrating it into a programmed back-end solution like a content management system. Dreamweaver does this.

Remove Ads