Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi Everyone,
    A friend of mine tells her Dad that I could do a site for his business. He contacts me via email and I respond with a list of questions like, "Do you have a domain?". Since then he has been forwarding me all of his correspondence with a company called, "The Internet Marketing Center". I looked up the company and there are some good things and bad things about it.

I have two questions:
    1. Has anyone heard of The Internet Marketing Center?
    2. Do you experience customers deviating from your services and on to something else like what other companies can do for them? What do you do when that happens?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    MaryJo,
    This is just my opinion.
    I would tell him, thanks for thinking of me, but I'll pass on this particular project.

It doesn't sound like he has a "real" business for your website, but wants to have you
    create something he can just sit back and hope for money ... but it won't happen, and
    you'll be responsible for the failure.

If he has a real business, where he works hard, is passionate about it, and has a clear idea
    of what he wants, that would be a different story. You posted your question because you
    had the intuition that something wasn't quite right. Pay attention to your feelings.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I've never heard of the Internet Marketing Center. I have had clients deviate from my services, though, and expect me to get involved. Usually, I'll just let them know that this is not my expertise, and that I can suggest good providers. If the client expects you to manage his efforts or help him decide on a provider, you should charge project management or procurement fees at an hourly rate.

Member #
    consulting fees baby chaching!
    San Diego Web Design Companies Graphic Design Firms in San Diego
    SEO Web Design Internet Marketing Blog Web Design and Online Advertising Blog

Member #
    I've had a few customers like that. They'll start out strong and seemingly dedicated to the project, but they fade over time. Eventually, they'll get to the point that they won't want to keep paying fo r your hourly wages. I find that I generally stay away from these types of clients.

It's best to think of it from their point of view. Do they stand to make a profit through this, or increase the presence of a good or service that makes them profit? Do they have any idea about the content of the website, or just want "you to do that"? You'll get better at seeing through these clients' brief stint of excitement over their idea, and thanking them for their offer, but you'll have to decline. (Don't be mean about it, though, and definitely don't tell them it's because you think they're not going to follow-through!)

Member #
    Thanks Taylor for the advise.
    You probably said it best, "Do they stand to make a profit through this, or increase the presence of a good or service that makes them profit?"

Mary Jo

Member #
    No problem. I've just seen enough clients to know that if they're not making a profit off of what you're doing, then you're probably not going to, either.

Remove Ads