Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello. I have hired someone to take my 10 year online magazine, created in html and change it
    over to a joomla site.

I am afraid I made a huge mistake and I am thinking about dropping the whole project, which has
    cost me allot of money and time. The project has been a nightmare because anytime I ask for what
    I had considered to be simple requests, my designer either say's he can't do it. Or that when he
    makes a simple change, it effects other components that then don't work and he complains that he
    has had to spend hours on it. I'm talking about things like adding an image next to my optin box,
    changing th background color, or deciding people don't need to register to read the articles,
    only to listen to our audio library.

The problem is, I don't know if it is the fault of my designer or if this is just normal problems
    for joomla web designers. Secondly, I am afraid that if he is having to spend so much time on
    normal tasks, this system in not for me, and I would prefer to return to my old site and just
    redesign it from there. This is a huge decision for me, because I had to spend my savings for
    this site, and now I will just loose it and have to spend more to redesign my old site.

Does anyone have a little time to be able to help me make an educated decision?

I see 3 options:

1.Maybe this is normal for the redesign or a site and in the end it will be stable and easy to
    run. If this is true, then I can know it is worth continuing with the current developer.

2.My developer is making it too complicated and doesn't have enough experience for my needs, in
    which case, I need to fire him and give the job to someone else.

3.It would be best for me to go back to html and joomla is too limited for my needs.

Gratefully,
    Emily

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Pay attention to your intuition.
    You are seeing some "red flags", and you are correct.
    Find someone else. There is a section on WDF for hiring freelance help.
    Ask for specific examples of Joomla sites they've done.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Some of the simplest things CAN wreak havoc on a layout IF it is a tight layout. Background color? No. But adding an image, or removing something can throw things around and take some time to redo or fix the layout.

It sounds like he may not be experienced enough too, which is adding to it.

Get another designer to take a look at the site if you can get him the files. Most companies or freelancers will at least look at it and give some advice for free.

Member #
    Thank you both very much for your help. I do believe I will talk with other designers and use the referral page recommended.
    Emily

Remove Ads