Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, I'm new to web design and have a question about a current page I'm working on.
    I'm using dreamweaver cs4. I have a members contact list that uses PHP and MySQL (alot of the dreamweaver auto server bindings and behaviors coding etc).
    I have the "email address" from the mysql database wrapped in a mailto tag.So members who log into the members only site can contact other members by clicking on their email link in the contact information. It works. My question is, how can I make this more secure to prevent spam bots etc?

Member #
    You could always set the text display for it to do [at] instead of the @ symbol. Bots look specifically for this symbol, and that'll cut out a bunch of it if you remove it. That might help.

Member #
    thanks for the advice. however, i don't know if i follow you exactly.. the email addresses are in the database with the "@" do i have to change it to [at] in the database?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If I understand your question, I think the secure part you need to worry about is at login. Use a captcha or ask a question for login.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroweb99
    If I understand your question, I think the secure part you need to worry about is at login. Use a captcha or ask a question for login.
    I wasn't sure how that worked. I have the login page php script and the passwords table in the mysql database both set to md5 encryption. As long as the page with the email links require that login the spammers can't get to it? If that is so, I've been drving myself crazy for nothing? lol. Thanks for the speedy replies!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah the bots are not going to get into the database. They will scower your pages looking for email addys and forms to fill in. Not to say that a hacker can't get in, but usually they are more interested in credit card numbers and things like that.

Member #
    Awesome. Thanks for your information I appreciate the help! Expect to see a lot of questions from me in the future.

Member #
    i under stand your question you need captcha for login.
    i hope you do it.

Member #
    i do plan on using that. Thanks for the advice

Member #
    No mailto links! They suck, no offense. Why not make a php mail form which will automatically email the contents of the message to the desired address. No spambots messing around with you anymore.

For more info check out the mail() function in php.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads