Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,
    I am a java programmer from school. Right now I'm trying to help out a friend build a webpage for his business. I have no real HTML/CSS, PHP experience but over the last couple days I'm picking it up pretty quickly.
    My questions:
    I keep seeing websites like this one where all the content is in the middle and the borders are greyed out or a different color. almost look like it's on paper. I'm wondering how do you get that effect?
    How do I make it so different links look different using style sheets? Like the menu items VS the content links in the middle?
    Finally, how do I create a static navigational menu on the left and have only the content to the right of it change depending on where the user wants to go?
    I think it should be pretty simple but I can't seem to find the right tutorial and I'm pretty new to all of this (2 days) haha . I'm using visual studio 2005/2008 and ASP.NET for right now because I had it available.
    Thanks guys,
    JD

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    For the dynamic stuff, you'll be using ASP. I'm more about PHP, so I can't help
    you there. The other things ... sort of hard to teach a whole course using this forum.
    You might want to use Google to find CSS and graphic background examples.
    It looks like you have a lot of ambition ... you'll find help much quicker by searching
    on Google - not that we can't help, but when you have a specific coding question and
    a website (link to your URL) to show us, let us know.

Member #
    I'm not sure what I have that will be dynamic. I'm probably just not being clear with what I'm trying to say. haha And when you say ASP do you mean ASP.NET?

Yeah I've been trying google a lot. It's hard when I don't really know what I'm searching for but thanks to you I think I'm getting close. Got the sort of look I'm looking for but can't get the little bugs worked out haha. A little more seat time I guess...

How could I get my dev site online so I could show you guys quickly and easily? Is there an easy way to do that? Sorry I'm new to all of this.

Thanks
    JD

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You'll have to subscribe to a webhost (like GoDaddy) or something, and upload
    your offline web page files to online. As you are doing ASP.NET, I think you'll be
    using a Windows Server instead of UNIX/Linux ... maybe someone else has a better
    idea of how that process is going to work. I don't know much about ASP.net.

Member #
    Alright! Thanks a lot for your help. I finally got the first part of my question figured out. There's so much info out there it's unreal haha.
    I'll look into getting a temp/construction site online.

And I'll ask more specific programming questions when they come up! Thanks again.
    JD

Remove Ads