Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Morning.
    hi i am new here.. I am posting this Thread just for getting some public opinion,,,

A current client peddling some art supplies is insisting the website itself should be "avant-garde, a work of art," and is throwing out all usability and design standards (like navigation bars/menus, header/footer, etc) merely because they deal with "art."

I will be the first to admit I have much to learn about design still - so I welcome these kinds of challenges and try to learn from them. I am having discussions with her about keeping her target audience in mind, etc.

Any advice/talking points/links to read from the trenches? I try to stay current on blogs like ALA or Smashing, but would love some real world info.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    For showing their art ... their idea would be great.
    For selling something ... their idea is bad.

Their goal as a business is to make money.
    If they want to sell items online, they had better give
    the buyers an easy way to look for what they want, and
    to complete the transaction as painless as possible.

If you plan on doing what they want, get everything in writing.
    You don't want to get stuck with having to start all over again
    and not get paid to start all over again. I feel they're making a bad choice.

3 Locust Street, Suite A Assonet, MA 02702
    Member #
    I think the most important thing you should keep in mind is the targeted audience.The site you are trying to build should be SEO friendly so you should check these things out carefully otherwise the site should not catch as much attention from the audience as it would catch if it would be SEO friendly.

Member #
    The key is target audience. Usibility and SEO should be features of the site. It should be easy for users to navigate, and they should feel 'at home' and have a positive impression of a business. First impressions often do stick. For me, if I visit a company's website and it's horrible, for instance it's got an outdated layout, or the layout is horrible on the eyes or is simply not logical, then that's the impression I get of the business. Rightly or wrongly that's how the customer sees it. This is not a work of art. It's a website, and it should stay like that. Of course it should provide a sample of their art, but leave that to the art company. Your job is to make a standards-complient website, which is user-friendly, logical, sustained, SEO-friendly and meets the user's needs in general. If you do it that way, the business is more likely to achieve its primary function, which is of course to make money. (usually).

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    A few points on websites dealing with the art industry:

A website for an artist should never contain too much design. It should be simple, stark and put the focus on the photos of the artwork. Think of a museum. The walls are white, no colors popping out in your face. The website should be like a museum.

A website for an art store should follow all the rules of e-commerce design. It should display the products in an attractive light, make it easy to purchase them, and have a definitive call to action to get people to buy, with compelling language and photos of the products in use by happy customers (people making art). The design of an art store website could very well be avant garde, e.g. as if its shapes were painted by Picasso rather than Photoshop. I once made a website where the entire thing was drawn on a piece of paper, scanned, and sliced. Note that the style of the design should not affect its usability. Look at cars - a Mercedes and a Ferrari have completely different style, but they both have doors, seats, a steering wheel, and all the same controls to use the vehicle. Your website can have whatever personality you want to give it as long as it doesn't strip away the basic controls.

Member #
    Hi,

Art and Web Design both are different.

Although Web Designing include creativeness but it is not a work of art. Customer would like your website only when it is having a positive impression of business. It must meet the needs of the customer.

Also, the design standards you was telling are un-isolated parts of your website. You cant even imagine a website without them. You must maintain the standard of your website.

Thanks. Have a nice time.

Member #
    Website designing is art. Just different to what has traditionally been considered art. Yes, it can be used flor business, but also pleasure. Also, if something is used for business does that suddenly make it not are? I think not. It is a creative process, and I consider that a form of art.

Member #
    I would love a job like that, what they want is a flash site but you will need something else underneath it (for non flash users), I would keep the design really simple, minimal and intuitive, clean lines, don't distract from the Art with your design, you should be looking to create something which doesn't draw attention to itself.

Throwing out all design conventions isn't an option, they are there for a reason.... they work. I would keep contact in the footer, along with a site index. Do away with traditional menus and go with a visual navigation which take you round like a gallery but keep the navigation functional and intuitive above all else... Nothing worse than a site you get lost in.

It will have to be db driven so they can update it. You could do most of the site as a flash photo gallery with some clean transitions and build the navigation into it, Make the content and navigation take up the same space and work together. Keep text to an absolute minimum, maybe even have a dropdown for art descriptions.

Good Luck

Member #
    Web design is still considered as an art. Well, at least to my opinion. It is just a complex form because you can still express yourself, however, there is a limit as you have to consider a lot of things. From neatness, to the audience perception of the design, to the demands of the client. Unlike art, you can express yourself according to whatever you feel.

Remove Ads