Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi All,

My name is Alex and I'm new to this forum. I am new to professional web design and am working on my first real project redesigning a web site for a small business. I have run into a design problem and need some advice, if you are willing to lend me some time.

I am drawing the graphical template in Photoshop of a redesigned version of this web site: http://www.icc-usa.com. The current progress of my redesign (though the main content area is very incomplete) looks like this: http://www.icc-usa.com/@GraphicalTem...Final_copy.jpg .

My problem is this: I like the top header that I have designed thus far as well as the main (purple) navigation menu, but I can't seem to make the main content (white background) harmonize with the other parts of the design. My idea was to make the main content design look simple and clean, similar to the apple.com aesthetic. The three panels in the main content area are supposed to showcase three types of products and act as a kind of easy-to-use navigation menu for customers.

I know that I am mixing styles with the minimalistic look of the main content area and the elaborate texture of the purple menu, but can you think of any way to make the main content area look better? It's still very much incomplete, but I don't like the look of the main content area so far and so am at an impasse. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Alex L.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Really good start. Maybe try something like this for content area?

PS - i'd also work a bit on the top nav - those tabs look out of place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Thanks for the reply, smoseley. I like the fade effect. It seems you did a fade gradient from the bottom, if I am not mistaken. My question is: how did you make it look like the black gradients on the sides of the main content area were getting narrower as they fizzled out towards the bottom?

About my original question, though, I was asking more about how to make the main-content (white) menu look better. I want to keep it simple, clean, apple.com-ish, but make it look good next to the other menus. Something's off with it right now, it seems to me (even if I spiced up that photo and added the rest of the text, something just doesn't fit). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Remove Ads