Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: i'm no artist

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    working on a blog site for local salt water angler and have a good idea of my layout direction but could use some ideas, opinion, or even sarcasm about my current graphics.

http://saltyblogger.com

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I think the colors look great! (that's the sarcasm you asked for) . Seeing as how it has to do with water, blue may be a good color to incorporate. Try lighter blues. (or turquoise if it's salt water)

I like the Salty Blogger font but the " l " is so close to the "a" in the word Salty. What font is that?

Sometimes really faint bg colors in your divs can set it off too.

I'd like to see more of a completed layout, that can help when adding color and graphics.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    lol. thx. i dont remember what font, something in gimp. ill keep checking back as i get more done on it. i have a bit of a hard time getting any level of accuracy with my colors. i can picture the color but just cant quite get it, more so with cool colors.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You don't have to be an artist to become technically skilled with Photoshop / HTML / CSS. It just takes practice and dedication. Start by copying other people's work.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    You don't have to be an artist to become technically skilled with Photoshop / HTML / CSS. It just takes practice and dedication. Start by copying other people's work.
    i could be wrong but my html and css aren't lacking. but my graphics ability after over a year has not improved. i have always had a hard time with color. I am not comfortable with copying anything, i would rather learn how improve on simple graphics. i have read a lot of tutorials on this but they almost always give the how and not the why. so they teach how to recreate the product in the tutorial but without the why i have not been able to translate that into my own abilities. ie.. fact vs concept.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    HTML/CSS is a presentation language. It's important not only to learn to use it to present things structurally, but also aesthetically. You don't do a lot with images in your CSS. That's a huge thing to learn how to do. Splicing background images into your HTML with CSS is an "art" (forgive the language lol).

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Splicing? background: url(); ?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, like that... but look at a site like http://www.iaqalert.biz/ How would you duplicate the results if you had the images already created? Requires some serious CSS work!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    oh http://citicommons.com or http://howtonrealty.com (thats real wood with some gimp). but its subtle color work that i lack in.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Those are simple horizontal repeats. Look at the boxes on the bottom of iaq... they have 3 layers of background images overlaid on top of each other to achieve an expandable box. Things like that get tricky. If you feel confident in your ability to do that type of splicing of background images, then you should focus on Photoshop.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads