Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,
    I just found your forum and I think it's great! I have learned a lot already. I have been a webmaster for a number of years, very novice though - and always have been using just HTML and more recently CSS. I have had some experience with frames/iframes, tables all that stuff and am ready to learn more...
    I maintain a few websites currently (all amateurish) and I have been asked to make another one... with this new one I would like to take a different approach. One of my pet peeves with all of my current websites is that when there is a menu change or something similar (ie: add a new image to the header, new link in the footer, navigation bar, etc...) I have to manually update every single page...
    Most websites I see now have dynamic elements (I think they are similar to pagelets) - (for example, http://news.bbc.co.uk/) I'm sure they don't specify their links in every page and the little box that says most popular stories..., but somehow call these links into the page.. this is what I want to learn how to do, can anyone tell me how this is done, where I could read more about it, and/or are there any sample sites out there that I could download and play with to help me see the relationships...
    I hope this is in the right section of the forum, I thank you in advance for any assistance you guys can provide.
    Thanks,
    Sheep

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Look up "php includes" in Google. You can't see php code in the page source because it is server side. You can use includes for exactly what you are talking about. Too long to teach in a post but it is pretty simple.

Member #
    Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know. Cheers!

Member #
    Why don't you just use Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla or one of the many blog/CMS solutions, very easy to implement your current layout design.

Remove Ads