Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello, i still working in my web layouts, and i started to read some articles about DIV positioning, many people, between professional designers and not are talking about the best practices to align elements in DIV's, some are really effective others don't.

I readed this:

-1 - Good practice is to make a "wrap" to all site content.
    -2- ( text-align ) propierty is the best way to center images
    -3- ( position ) propierty have problems with other elements positioned |Static|Absolute|etc..|
    -4 - The default position for a DIV is Static

I recommend highly this articles:

[Centering Images Is Harder Than You Think]
    http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol7/html_no10.htm

Centenring Tables
    http://www.granneman.com/webdev/codi.../centertables/

All, article you can read about positioning elements or DIV's use "tricks" CSS it's better than HTML but have a lot of display problems, check this:

- Float propierty issue: If floated element's haven't enough space between them one float force other to drop below the first.

- "Absolute Positioning Issue": 1px Rounding Error, because Absolute Positioning is a coordinate method.

I readed other articles that talk about make a "fence" to the elements that align them like a "trick"

So, doesn't exist a rule what control every element how we need, always we'll need tricks.

I just post this here cause i need help with this, if you have a positioning method let us know it to improve our layouts because;

Positioning Inline, block-level elements, and asign position for a div need's always a kind of trick

Finally i want to know, how to make a layout that allow elements stay in his positions when the navigator is resized or the display resolution is low, makig possible appears the vertical and horizontal scroll bars without overlap any element of the website.:-(
    I just wanna improve, but there's a lot of ppl that are jealous for it. I really don't care it at all.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    will adjust to screen when resized.

position: absolute; left: 0px; right: 0px; width: auto;

position: relative; width: auto;

to properly center
    position: absolute; ..........just adjust the the left/right pixels

position: relative; ...........must set a width to use auto margins
    position: relative; width: 100px; margin: 0px auto 0px auto;

you can put absolute elements inside relative elements but it is not wise to put relative elements inside absolute elements.

using text-align for anything other then text is only done by those that use editors to build and don't really know css. also there is nothing rong with using classic html, as long as its not used with an element positioned absolute you can use <center>, why not. but used on an absolute element it will not be valid or hold place, the element will escape the box.

prevent overlapping, set a min-width: to the css for your overall div. yes a full page outer container div is perfect for this.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorky
    will adjust to screen when resized.

also there is nothing rong with using classic html, as long as its not used with an element positioned absolute you can use <center>, why not.
    Oh well, i readed about depreceated html code like DIV ALIGN and others... but i guess it's ok to get a better navigators compatibility.

Good advice, thank you.
    I just wanna improve, but there's a lot of ppl that are jealous for it. I really don't care it at all.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nextoss
    Oh well, i readed about depreceated html code like DIV ALIGN and others... but i guess it's ok to get a better navigators compatibility.

Good advice, thank you.
    no. thats not what was intended. if it is not going to be supported in the near future i wouldn't use it. but <center> is not loosing support any time soon.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    center is deprecated, which means it will lose support at some point. In any technology solution, you always avoid the use of deprecated technologies when a new equivalent exists (unless you work for the government, lol)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    oh. well the css i gave works.

Banned
    Member #
    Nexos has mentioned the right attributes for div
    One major difference between using DIVS and Table is Table can be flexible and the content is not static and fixed on one place . But divs are really stuck with the text.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i think have that backwards james.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That didn't make ANY sense to me.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    .center{
    display:block;
    margin: 0 auto;
    }

.tcenter{text-align:center;}

these 2 classes will center just about everything. Use tcenter for text, use center for other elements. ive never run into a situation where i couldnt use display block, i mean it makes sense...display block (take up a horizontal space 100%) and center within that space.

..whats wrong with these 2 classes? they work for everything ive ever needed.
    ok thank you bye <3
    aero..i love u

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads