Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello

Im dealing with a bit of a distressing problem which is some illegal quite questionnable content featuring on the net - I have gone thru legal procedures to ask the webmasters in question to remove/change the content and they have, but my problem now is with google - though the sensitive images have been removed, they still display them in their cache

ive tried to use the removal request tool, but in cases where the webmasters have not removed the image from their server, just changed the content of the image itself, the removal request tool doesnt work and denies my request.

in some cases, the webmaster has redirected a page ive asked them to remove to another page. when you type in an image url too, you get sent to the same redirected page. google removal request tool doesnt work for me here either.

ive sought help from a couple of people who both say the webmaster needs either to make the content lead to a 404 or use meta information to tell search engines not to crawl. unfortunately i doubt any of the webmasters who have decided to change rather than remove the images in question in order to preserve the page itself will want to make their page uncrawlable or with an ugly plain 404.

so my task is to give these webmasters a nice option - eg a custom 404 page with a link to different content, or meta information not to index the content ive asked them to remove along with their page redirects theyve set up. i have NEVER done anything like that before, and am afraid i will ask the webmasters to do something so complicated that it puts them off and they wont do it.

asking them to go thru google image removal request tool themselves after is not an option - there are several images per page, and i very very much doubt anyone would want to spend time doing this, i'd do this bit after they have done the above, and also if i can i would like to take as much of the workload as poss so that webmasters have less to do and are more likely to comply.

does anyone know the simplest way for a webmaster to pretty much tell google either "hey this image has changed" or "hey dont crawl this" or "theres nothing here" (custom 404)? which one is easiest, and could i - as a beginner in webdesign, do it for them?

please help!

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Google "robot.txt".
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks, yeah im aware of doing nofollow with robots if thats what you meant - if not then could you please explain further?

the thing is some of these webmasters obviously want to preserve their pages i guess - because rather than remove the image/content, they change the image in question to not feature myself - the name of the picture, and its wherabouts, is the same place.

is there anyway for a webmaster to say "hey google, recache my page you need to update your listing" - i realise google wouldnt make this option available for something uncommon like my situation, but they MUST have something, i mean what when a company changes its logo, or branding, or an offer theyve put in an image on their site is no longer on...any ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaburge
    thanks, yeah im aware of doing nofollow with robots if thats what you meant - if not then could you please explain further?

the thing is some of these webmasters obviously want to preserve their pages i guess - because rather than remove the image/content, they change the image in question to not feature myself - the name of the picture, and its wherabouts, is the same place.

is there anyway for a webmaster to say "hey google, recache my page you need to update your listing" - i realise google wouldnt make this option available for something uncommon like my situation, but they MUST have something, i mean what when a company changes its logo, or branding, or an offer theyve put in an image on their site is no longer on...any ideas?
    sign up for the web master tools on any SE in question. they all provide tools or a help section to remove pages from indexing. if you do not want to remove the page but have it better updated, this takes a few months before the index cache has fully evolved per page. adjusting robots and site maps is future tense not past tense.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thankyou - unfortunately tried and tested googles image/search result removal tool, when you say "the webmaster has modified the page in question", google asks "what keywords have they removed" and my problem is no darned keywords have been removed, and the image name is still a keyword, so they don't remove.. the real updated image though doesnt feature any sensitive content.

i will look into custom 404s - some have put in a redirect as you said yes. when you type the image path into your browser it redirects you there too - do they have to remove the page redirect theyve enforced to get googles removal tool to accept? and also could i poss do a custom 404 for them and just give them a coded page and some snippet to put elsewhere?

adjusting robots and site maps is future tense not past tense.
    are you saying here that it doesnt matter if they change their robots.txt today, google still may not recrawl for months?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ok. i apologize. i did not read your problem all the way thrue. You have images of concern on other peoples web sites? there is little more you can do other then getting legal council.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ive already gone thru legal procedures to have the content removed from the internet. All i need do now is remove it from Googles cache. I am able to send a document for some of the content to Google to request they remove it.

But i do not have the required docs to send for any other removals - I have the legal right in some cases to remove some of the content, but some of the other content thats there does not have a copyright owner really. or at least not one that can be contacted.

So i want to request the webmaster to carry out whatever is needed for Google to understand - after i notify them thru a removal request on their content removal request form - that the image has been updated or is no longer there, and to remove it. To make it easiest for the webmaster and less like hard work i want to find the easiest ways of doing this.

Hopefully ive explained clear enough this time

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    easiest ways of doing this...... well there isn't one. im not sure why an image you have no copyright over is so important or why you seem so determined to get it removed yet expect that somehow there is a lazy way to do it. kind of a contradiction as far as i can see. best of luck but this is a web design forum, not an "omg i shouldn't have got so drunk and let them take compromising pics of me" forum.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    @Dorky:
    "omg i shouldn't have got so drunk and let them take compromising pics of me
    I think the closest forum to a forum for this is Googles help forum for removing sensitive stuff from their results.. however I have tried this, and contacting Google direct, and no result.

Furthermore I was not drunk but was heavily anorexic in the photographs. This is damaging. My job is as a model. This is another reason why its damaging. Thats why i want them removed.

The photographer in question cannot be contacted nor did I sign a model release for this stuff. therefore there is no clear copyright ownership as far as i understand it.

I posted on a webdesign forum because I know this forum has knowledgeable members, and very helpful ones usually, who would know a little more than I do on this topic.

expect that somehow there is a lazy way to do it.
    I am intrigued to know a lazy way haha. Failing that any way that I can just get this done, it doesnt matter if it takes work.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What I am saying is that the people posting the image(s) are most likely covered under Fair Use and therefore you have very few options. W.D.F. may indeed have Members/Attorneys that specialize in this area, but I'm not sure who that would be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads