Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So, I've built this decent website through Fireworks cs4 & it's functional about 22 pages. The only problem is that when it loads, it loads in like strips and boxes, the person I've built it for does not like this, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?:-\8-)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Got a link? I'm curious as to how fireworks codes this. I use FW for graphics and always wondered. But I doubt there is anything you can do.

Member #
    Hello.. about fireworks i just know it is best use for Slicing the website.. according to your Image size, Header,Footer And the Text and other elements of the web-page:thumbsup:
    and rest of the coding is edited in Dream Weaver..

Member #
    Sorry for the slow reply.

The website also sometimes loads the content slower then normal sites. I choose to use Fireworks for the Website because I find it easier to incorporate many graphics and various designs around text and drop-down menus. As well as being able to use Fireworks easy drop-down menu tool.

The link is www.cashwell.net Please tell me what you think, and what you think I can do to speed up the stripy loading process.

Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Wow, I've never used Fireworks to design a page and now I'm not sure I ever will (I'm sure it has it's uses).

It has split the image up into loads of separate Images, putting them in individual table cells. I'm sure there is a way to preload all the images from a loading page using Javascript but I dont know how (Also this would really screw initial load times).

My fix is to stick that Image back together, get those bits of images out the table cells. Put a div box round the table cells (fixed width to keep with the menus) and put the whole image as the background for the DIV.

You will then have to build another div box inside for page content in each page and put in content as text - this seems to be getting thrown out as image strips too.

As for the load speeds... I didn't see any problems - loads pretty quick my end - get a better connection. If you want to speed it up reduce the quality of the image when you have done the above - although load times should improve between pages any way since the background images will be being reused between pages.

If I were you I would start doing sites in Dreamweaver, FW might generate menus for you but you can do the same thing with a menu plugin off adobe exchange And Dreamweaver spus out better code, plus teaches you how to do it.

I hate to say it but in all honesty I would start again with the site, do it in DW, use div boxes not table cells, You have done most of the hard work... got images, content, layout etc. Site design looks pretty good, If you redo the code as DIVS from the ground up and put text in as text, load times will get better, will be easier to update and wont go all stripy on you.

Let us know what you do and how you get on.

Member #
    dappaD said it all, the best thing for you to do is start over in dreamweaver, if you have a basic understanding of it it should only take you a couple of hours to do seeings how you already have the disign, layout and images you require

Member #
    Wow, i loaded the page and shat bricks Yeah dreamweaver is defitily the way to do it without having sliced images throughout the page, and as squiz said it shouldnt take that long to reasemble.

Member #
    So, I'm gonna begin to redo this website this weekend. I just have a few questions as my web designing background mainly consist of XHTML, CSS, Adobe, and Wordpress. What is a good way to create the drop-down menus?

Member #
    First of all, search engines will never find your website, the entire thing is images. Search bots ignore images.

Your problem has nothing to do with fireworks, or your skill as a developer. Since the entire page is an image or combination of images, rather, it will just take a bit longer for visitor's browser to download the images. What you are seeing is just that.

It's not something that can be quickly and effortlessly fixed. You would have to remake the entire website.

If you're worried about people not being able to find your website, then I suggest making a small paragraph somewhere on your homepage giving a description of the website with some keywords added in there. Must be in text though, can't be in an image.

Member #
    As I said previously, if you have Dreamweaver you can download a plugin from adobe exchange to generate the menus for you. You can do them in css http://www.lwis.net/free-css-drop-down-menu/ I'll be honest, I haven't checked this site out but it was the first thing to come up in google and looks like it does what you want. If not go back to google. Google is the web designers friend. There is also a post in these forums full of CSS navigation tutorials: http://www.webdesignforums.net/web_d...als_34474.html

I dont know how long you have been at web design but I have been at it for a couple of years now and every day I still learn things which save me time effort and make better sites. I dont know what your deal with your client is but they have a site now and you should look after them. If you haven't this time then in future charge a monthly site maintenance fee on top of hosting. This gives you a steady income and means you can apply your new knowledge to clients existing sites whilst expanding your skills.

If you are anything like me, my guess is you have thrown yourself in at the deep end, probably under priced the job (at least for the time you've spent) and are pretty pi$Łed at having to start again. On the plus side you've done a pretty good job by all accounts. Learn from it, keep going and most of all always remember to look after the customer, a thousand leaflets is never as effective as one recommendation from a satisfied customer. In 6 months you will be churning out sites of a much higher standard, in less time and still wishing you had done things differently - thats just how it goes.

D

Remove Ads