Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Here's the situation, im making a website from the ground up mostly from this free basic subscription on shopsite my hosting company provided me with. They offer a shopping cart program thats just too limited for me unless I buy the liscense at 900 dollars!

I haven't made any money yet :ichatnervous:! I cant afford the license so can someone give me an idea on a full shopping cart software that is reasonable with all the features like coupons and calculated shipping based on zip from multiple carriers?

I have been looking at Google checkout but I haven't checked it all out yet. That could be an option I don't know I'm just overwhelmed and I think I may just have to remake my site over again in front page because of this shop site crap.

I dont know any programming btw im just "script kiddying" it on this one my specialty was more the networking/hardware side.

Ideas? Thanks in advance and God Bless.
    Chris

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    www.magentocommerce.com - The community edition is by far the best free ecommerce software I've ever used. It's resource intensive, though. May tax your server a bit.

Member #
    Looks like that comes free on blue host also, now how much are they going to get me for?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Magento Community Edition is absolutely free, and includes just about all the features you'll ever need. It comes out of the box with coupon codes, mult-storefront, etc. You can also get about 2,000 additional plug-ins from 3rd party merchants for $0-300 (these range from upsell/cross-sell features to quickbooks integration to online gift registry components).

If you move to the Enterprise Version, however, you'll have to pay a license fee of $11,000 per year. The enterprise version includes features that you'll probably never need, like multi-user administration, advanced content management, seasonal content staging, content change approval workflows, gift cards integration, and other tools used by very very large E-Merchants.

If you DO ever need those features, though, you'll be glad you started on a free version of a system that can grow with you. And if your business ever gets to the point where it needs those additional features, you can afford the price tag.

That's why I have all my e-commerce clients on Magento.

Member #
    Wow thanks for all the info I shall give it the old try as they say. Much appreciated, so thank you very much.

Member #
    ok so I installed magento and now I get an error when trying to get in.
    There has been an error processing your request

Exception printing is disabled by default for security reasons.
    Error log record number: 455680436242

This is from trying to get in from bluehost. I installed and uninstalled it several times.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I've never done an auto-install, so I can't help much.

A Google search on your error turned up this article, though:

http://www.designersandbox.com/magen...does-not-work/

Looks like you need to do some basic configuration to get error logging working right.

Member #
    I dont know how good of a program this could be if I cant even get this installed from jump street. Im getting tons of errors even after fixing alot of the code that people commonly have problems with. I opened a ticket with bluehost, Until then does anyone have any other suggestions on good ecommerce cart softwares available at a decent price, etc?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Cardinal rule with software: EASY, GOOD, FREE <-- pick two

I've only ever installed Magento manually. It's not a super-simple task, but I've never had a problem with it.

FYI - Magento Community edition is for "expert" webmasters (e.g. some php, some database experience). It's not a "click-install" product, but it's BY FAR the most feature-rich, most stable e-commerce platform you'll find for free.

Member #
    You have a point. I'm going to either have to learn a bit or defer to something simpler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads