Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi! I'm new here. I have no idea where to post my question, mainly because I don't even know what program or language to use to make this happen.

I'm taking a graduate course and I need to design a tutorial/workshop. My workshop or tutorial is going to be about blogging and how to create a blog. I will be using Google Blogger for the workshop, I'm pretty sure. I might use WordPress, but I never have before.

What I would like to do, is have my step-by-step instructions open in a separate window that stays in the foreground, so my learner will be able to reference it while they are working on making their blog in a separate window (the parent window).

Is there a way to do this? Can I make an applet maybe that does this? Is there one already made that is freeware I could use? I don't necessarily want to reinvent the wheel here. lol

Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated! I have one month from today to COMPLETE the entire tutorial and present it to the class.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i use google and don't care for wordpress. having said that, you should use wordpress. i have a google blog but it is very limited and may not have all the options you need.

as for the window, a window would be a popup and very annoying. also keeping it in the foreground is not an option you can control.

with wordpress you can add a javascript box that will stay in the foreground. with some work you can allow click and drag so the user can move it around.

-wordpress
    -javascript

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    If you have (or can get) a microphone for your PC, you can use free software like
    this (see below) to record a tutorial directly from you screen. You can make several
    small segments that a user can play while following along.

It's flexible enough to record Flash videos in a smaller window that might be able
    to stay on top (I didn't look for that option, but there's many options).

It records directly in real time from your screen and microphone, so you talk as
    you demonstrate the WordPress Blog.

The software is totally free. The free express version does everything except allow
    editing. So if you mess up, you just delete it an record a new one.

Here's the software:
    http://bb-flashback-express.en.softonic.com/

I'll make an example (without sound) and post the URL to it.

Here's a working example. I don't know how to make it stay on top though:
    http://www.catpin.com/example

Member #
    Thanks! I have used Blogger before and thought since I already know how to use it/short time frame, it might be easier. And blogger allows one to post video. Mlseim, this would work well with your option. I do have a microphone, a cheap microphone, but used it for a previous project/tutorial.

However, I was just reading over Wordpress (before I checked here for responses), and it claimed to only have video if I payed extra, i.e. not free...heh Dorky, do you know if this is correct? If I can get some Javascript up in there, that would be cool. I did like WordPress for the fact that I could create seperate tabs of information - great for a tutorial. But that darn no video thing!

I know some of my participants want to do this to share video and pictures of their kids. Ugh! I'm so confused.

Thank you both so much for the suggestions. If you would like to comment on my rambling here, that would be well taken too! :nervous:

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    that is so awesome!!!

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    What's so awesome? Are you trying to confuse me more? LOL j/k

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Sarah ...

The video thing (either Flash or AVI) is a program you install on your PC.
    You make the videos and then create a separate webpage where a user can
    click on the links to view various sections. The video thing is not part of WordPress,
    although you could put some links on WordPress, or use a free Flash embedded player.
    You could also use Youtube.

I'm just thinking of a way you can demonstrate how to use WordPress by actually
    using it ... a working example where the users see (and hear) exactly what you're doing.

It would be your own voice, and your own computer screen that they view.

===============

On a different topic, you mention allowing people to upload and view videos.
    Find the WordPress plugin for Youtube. Do all of that using Youtube.

Remove Ads