Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I need to be able to add extra text boxes to my site dynamically. The user is provided a single text box by default to enter data. But if they need to enter more than one line, I want there to be a button to have another box appear. I have seen this done on other sites, but I can't think of one.
    What is the best way to do this? Javascript?

Member #
    Yes, javascript. If you're familiar with jQuery, this is very easy to make. Simply append() more boxes when the user clicks() a button.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I agree with the jquery route. Here's a good example and tutorial on how to add form elements dynamically:

Tutorial:
    http://www.coldfusionjedi.com/index....dd-form-fields

Demo:
    http://www.coldfusionjedi.com/demos/jqueryadd/test1.cfm

Hope this helps.

Member #
    HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var pos = 0;
    function addbox()
    {
    var place = document.getElementById('THE_ID_OF_PLACE');
    place.innerHTML += '<input type="text" id="entry' + pos + '" />'
    }
    </script>
    Rudimentary but works
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll be giving it a shot sometime this week after I get some other stuff off my plate.
    I have also be reading up on Ruby. Since I don't know much about Ruby, I won't be designing my site with it anytime soon, but this type of thing seems almost native to Ruby... can anyone comment on that?

Member #
    Ruby, on Rails, is a web application framework. I don't have much experience with it, so I can't exactly say if it'll do what you want, but note that in the end Javascript is the only thing that can accomplish your goal. (RoR may generate the JS, I do not know.)
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steax
    Ruby, on Rails, is a web application framework. I don't have much experience with it, so I can't exactly say if it'll do what you want, but note that in the end Javascript is the only thing that can accomplish your goal. (RoR may generate the JS, I do not know.)
    Good to know. I'll keep that in mind. Like I said, I'm really just starting to read about it to see if it's something I want to pursue. In the end though, my site is pretty simple and really doesn't need anything above and beyond some simple HTML, JS, PHP.
    Thanks.

Remove Ads