Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I知 working on a web page in dreamweaver, this webpage is a catalog structure web page. I知 trying to figure out how to make the text change when a different product is clicked on, for instance when image 1 is clicked on I want it to say card 1, when image 2 is clicked on I want it to say card 2. Does any one have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    php or javascript. probably javascript would be best.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    It depends on if the new text will appear on the same page (say, as a tooltip or expanded detail) or if on a different page (e.g. a products detail page). Javascript for the former, PHP or another server-side language for the latter. I'm guessing it's the second though.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    hmm
    for instance when image 1 is clicked on I want it to say card 1, when image 2 is clicked on I want it to say card 2

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    You never know. That does apply to switching pages too, Mini never specified if there needed to be a page refresh. I'm just guessing so because it was a "catalog structure". Really depends on what is needed, though.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks.

Member #
    I知 not sure how to use java script yet, it seems complicated, is there a way to use it in dreamweaver that is relatively simple. I知 not trying to get out of doing hard work, it痴 just that at this point, where I am at currently I just need to know where to start. Can anyone point me in the direction to use through dreamweaver that will make this text change to occur?

Member #
    Just to be sure, Mini, do you intend for this text change to occur on the same page, or after a page refresh (different page)?

Javascript is a scripting language. There is pretty much no other way to make it aside from hand coding or using template scripts. On the other hand, Javascript is one of the simpler languages to learn, is fairly forgiving, and can access browser plugins like Firebug to help you debug it.

If you're willing to learn, check our jQuery, I think it should get you there fastest.

Member #
    Yes, I'd like for the text change to occur on the same page. Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to learn it, I'm just not sure how fast I'll be able to. Thanks for the jQuery link!

Member #
    Here's a quick hint in case you need it.

HTML side:
    HTML Code:
    <p id="dynamic">Item Number</p>
    <ul id="items">
    <li><a href="#" title="Item 1">This is the first item</a></li>
    <li><a href="#" title="Item 2">A second item</a></li>
    <li><a href="#" title="Item 3">An item after that</a></li>
    <li><a href="#" title="Item 4">Finally, a fourth item</a></li>
    </ul>
    It makes use of the title attribute, since it also fits the purpose of a tooltip.

And javascript:
    Code:
    $(function(){ // leave this line be, it tells the code to function as soon as the page is ready

// the following is a selector, like in CSS, and using that selector we do a
    // jQuery selection, and then apply a click event to it
    $("#items li a").click(function(){
       var itemname = $(this).attr("title"); // gets the item name
      $("#dynamic").html(itemname); // change the HTML contents of the dynamic field
      return false;  // cancel the click event
    });

}); // leave this line be

Remove Ads