Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    21640
    I hope to some day be a web designer. The problem is, I have no idea what university to go to. The adviser at my college was no help. She literally printed out a page of diploma mills and handed to me. So I have been trying to do my own research.

    Out of these programs which do you think is the best?
    Has anyone gone to any of these schools?

    Uarts: Multimedia
    http://www.uarts.edu/academics/cmac/mm/bfamulti.html

    Philadeplphia University: Digital Design
    http://www.philau.edu/designandmedia...ig_design.html

    West chester: Graphic Design
    http://www.wcupa.edu/cvpa/art/art_academics.html#BFA

    Temple: Graphic & Interactive Design
    http://www.temple.edu/bulletin/Acade...aphicarts.shtm

    Cabrini: Graphic Design
    http://www.cabrini.edu/Academics/Aca...-or-Minor.aspx

    Drexel: Digital Media
    http://www.drexel.edu/westphal/acade.../digitalmedia/

    University of Pennsylvania: Communication Design
    http://www.design.upenn.edu/fine-art...cation_design/

  2.  

  3. #2
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,720
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    718 times
    Student ...
    You should become a graphic designer, NOT specifically "web design".

    So focus on the actual graphic software needs, what you have to learn about
    putting your creative graphics skills and talents into using the software to make
    images that are rendered electronically.

    This is just my opinion, but to focus specifically on "web design" is a dead-end road.
    The web over the next couple years is all about programming and information,
    not about web pages. Everything will be portable, smart phone, PDA, small screen,
    and specifically targetted to a user.

    Graphic Design is good ... but don't put the emphasis on "web design".



    .


  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    21640
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Student ...
    You should become a graphic designer, NOT specifically "web design".

    So focus on the actual graphic software needs, what you have to learn about
    putting your creative graphics skills and talents into using the software to make
    images that are rendered electronically.

    This is just my opinion, but to focus specifically on "web design" is a dead-end road.
    The web over the next couple years is all about programming and information,
    not about web pages. Everything will be portable, smart phone, PDA, small screen,
    and specifically targetted to a user.

    Graphic Design is good ... but don't put the emphasis on "web design".



    .
    I see what you mean. I first read this reply on my BlackBerry.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,146
    Member #
    10263
    Liked
    1 times
    While I think the web in all its incarnations will remain quite lucrative and relevant (a lot of mobile web use and such seems to supplement rather than supplant the more standard use), programs that refer to themselves as web design programs are generally not going to be of high quality. A great graphic designer can design for the web, and a great developer can develop for the web. Either of those paths (or both!) are much preferable to approaching a web design program that is usually built for people who know little about computers and even less about what their ultimate goal really is -- i.e., what is a truly good web designer or developer.

  6. #5
    WDF Staff smoseley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,729
    Member #
    819
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Student
    University of Pennsylvania: Communication Design
    http://www.design.upenn.edu/fine-art...cation_design/
    I would guess Penn's program is the best. Probably cause I went there, so I'm biased! :-D

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    21640
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    I would guess Penn's program is the best. Probably cause I went there, so I'm biased! :-D
    It would be so cool to go there since many of the teachers at my high school most likely thought I wouldn't amount to anything. I went to a private Christan school, I know some of the teachers looked down on me for going to a community college, many thought I wasn't Christian enough and other BS.

    What was your major?
    Where you a transfer student?

  8. #7
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,720
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    718 times
    LOL .... "Not Christian enough"?

    Is there like some chart that you stand-up against the wall ...
    "You have to be at least this Christian to be a part of this school".

    LOL ... that's funny!

    If you love art, love graphic design, and have the passion to do that for living, go for it!
    Any school you select would be fine, and don't let money keep you from it. There's
    always a way to get into any school no matter how much (or little) money you and your
    family have. A HS diploma, and your "will" to get in is all you need.

    Think about it ... what good teacher would ever say, "you wouldn't amount to anything"?
    .... Obviously, you are above them.


  9. #8
    Senior Member aeroweb99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Port Huron, Michigan
    Posts
    1,037
    Member #
    16468
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    LOL .... "Not Christian enough"?

    Is there like some chart that you stand-up against the wall ...
    "You have to be at least this Christian to be a part of this school".
    Aww god that's was funny Max! (Oops I didn't mean to say God)

  10. #9
    WDF Staff smoseley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,729
    Member #
    819
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Student
    What was your major?
    Where you a transfer student?
    I had a few major changes, ultimately wound up in Design of the Environment / Architecture. I started at Penn, but transferred to an Architecture program elsewhere. It's a great place to go to school. One of the oldest schools in the US. Lots of history there and great programs too.

  11. #10
    Senior Member aeroweb99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Port Huron, Michigan
    Posts
    1,037
    Member #
    16468
    Liked
    1 times
    That is a pretty good list of schools! I can't imagine you could go wrong with any of them!


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com