Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Jumping right in here- not sure if there is a thread on this or not but I am going to ask about this bc I am limited on time to search the site--- my apologies in advance.

I am working on building a site for a friend (Novice).. I am working with dreamweaver (I have the full CS4 Master Collection) What I am trying to do is create a counter like the one at www.drudgereport.com (bottom right) that lists the past 24hrs, month, and visits per year. I also need to create a search function for the site, and a suggestion box/tips or a contact text area. I am COMPLETELY newbie to how to do this. I am under the impression that this would require a CGI application working in the background but I have no clue even what that means.
    This is what I am asking- point me in the right direction on what to search/research/learn and I'm good. Just need to be pointed in the correct direction and I can go learn it...

Thanks a million in advance and have a good one!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Search functions are usually based off of a database of some kind.
    Usually MySQL (in the case of PHP). When you use a database to control
    the content, like with WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc ... the PHP scripting
    searches the database.

Not sure about the counter thing. It would be easier just to make up some
    numbers that increase each day .... the point is, what difference does it make,
    and who will believe it anyhow? If I told you my site has 1562 visitors today,
    am I telling the truth? Drudge report had 027,524,958 visitors in the last 24 hours.
    really?

So it sounds like your site might be a bunch of static pages done on Dreamweaver.
    In reality, it should be totally PHP/MySQL based ... a dynamic site where the owner
    can add content, edit content. The visitors can comment. There are social features,
    RSS feeds, add-on, modules, etc. Just like WordPress.

In my opinion, I would point you to WordPress. Find a great free "theme template"
    to use and customize it. You can use the Dreamweaver text edit mode, but you won't
    be using the WYSIWYG mode.

Remove Ads