Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi. I'm considering turning to my web design skills as a way to make some money. I've been doing web design a long time and I know a lot, but since I've never done it professionally I am not as time-efficient as I could be and there are some things I don't know.

One big question I have is how you pass control onto your clients once you are done and have collected the client's money. Is this where the CMS comes into play? I've fiddled around with blogs a bit but I don't know much about how a CMS works or if that's really what it's for.

I'm also not sure what the going rate is for web design work. It must be a complicated pricing scheme considering all the various talents and technologies that might go into designing a website.

Any answers to these two questions that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested to hear any other general advice you design veterans can offer.

edit: I just realized I spelled my username wrong. :dead:

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    What'd you want your user name to be?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    "mauve" is the right way to spell it

jj1
    Member #
    Pricing depends onthe skills you can offer and on what other local web companies charge. Check out your local competition and see if any specify prices - that gives you a fair idea.
    If you want to set up on your own, I would start out by building your own website - make it as good as possible, learn about seo so you can get it ranking well but be aware that Google often doesn't like new sites (in my experience, it can take 3-7 months for a new website to rank fairly well and websites can often get another boost at 12 months). Build up your portfolio so people can see what types of websites you offer - some people offer freebies on forums to do this, others do freebies for charities or very reduced prices for freinds etc.
    Whilst you are waiting for your site to do well in Google, consider going round local industrial estates/restaurants/shops with a leaflet or business card - someone I once knew found this an effective way of getting her first customers.
    CMS offers users ability to change their sites; some of my customers have very poor computer skills and so are happy for me to make occasional changes - I offer a free annual change in the hosting package.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You have your clients subscribe to their own webhosting account
    using their own credit card. They get the account and domain name themselves.
    Have them select the UNIX server (if there is a UNIX / Windows choice).

They will then email you the FTP and account logins for their website.

You develop their website within their own account.
    Each year, they are responsible for resubscribing and paying for the account.

Before you even start, you already have discussed the site requirements and
    have some sort of written agreement on what the site will be ... the features,
    the scripts, the design, etc.

How they pay is also decided. 1/2 up front? all at the end? You decide that.

How much they pay depends on features, as mentioned in post 4.

Member #
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Thank you guys so much for the pointers. All useful information. I'm actually already doing two free websites like you mentioned so I can have something in my portfolio. It's also a good opportunity to see what kind of problems I might run into. Good to work out the kinks before someone is actually paying me to be competent. (What a concept!)

@jj1 - If you offer to make small updates and changes for a fee, to you find that your customers contact you a lot to do this? Or is it just a once in a while thing? I don't want to be an errand boy for everyone I make a website for. If something is wrong I would fix it of course, that's OK, but it seems like that it could get out of hand.

jj1
    Member #
    @jj1 - If you offer to make small updates and changes for a fee, to you find that your customers contact you a lot to do this?
    Maybe on average 1 or 2 changes per year per website - one website was a pain and wanted more, others haven't asked for any changes. It depends on the customer. Often customers who want frequent changes will ask for cms.

Member #
    the rate for building the website is depend on how big of the web site and how long u take to done web, also detail how hard to run things work. and calculate roughly by hours abt $60 an hrs

Remove Ads