Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I've been thinking about the future a bit regarding mobile browsers and how they are becoming more prominent in people's everyday lives, and yet, the PC will still be around for at least another 10 years. With these thoughts in mind, web designers need to satisfy both media types over this time period, if not longer.

(I do have a question coming!)

Now I myself have not put any effort into supplying a css sheet for "handhelds" in my sites, but lately I have been reconsidering, because basically I need to! So on to the search engine I went. Gee, it's not so simple as we basically face the same monotonous problem we have with screen media, which is cross-browser compatibility!!!. From what I can see, it's going to be another nightmare if they don't get some standards going for the hundreds of mobile browsers that will be clogging the internet. God help us!

My question: What do you currently do to support mobile devices with your sites? From what I understand, media="handheld" is not the complete answer, or even half the answer.

And: Do you have any good links on this topic?

I found this one on A List Apart, which is a technical read somewhat.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I've seen this, but have not tried it myself.
    http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/

I'm tempted to pay the price for it and start experimenting.
    I think this might be the best solution.

As with you, I agree that we need to look forward. The desktop PC and
    their large monitors are going to be slipping away as we all go toward
    an era of hand-held, pocket, portable and personal browsers.

It's going to all be about information, not web pages. And you have to
    also be careful about Flash. That's a mystery ... what will happen with Flash?
    iPod, iPhone and iPad ... no Flash supported. Interesting isn't it?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah it was your post a couple of weeks ago that really got me thinking about this, and in my opinion, is pretty darn important.

I can't see larger monitors and pc's going anywhere anytime soon. Thinking of myself, where 90% of the time my time on the web is spent at night going to various sites. I'm not going to do that on a handheld device, that's for sure. Just in the last year or so handhelds have really blazed the market. I think there's going to be a long period of overlap where people are using both. A lot of handheld during the day for business purposes and teens doing whatever it is they do, and the "sit at home and chill" time at night.

I can see a major importance put on websites being viewable on both platforms. That won't be a big deal if all we gotta do is create one stylesheet for handhelds and slip a snippet of code in the head tag, but already there are different handheld browsers displaying things differently! Haven't they learned from the IE battle over the last 15 years?

I guess I'd just like to know how designers handle this right now and how we are going to handle it in the future (like next year!)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I think CSS3 and HTML5 might have some answers to the overlap.
    I need to do some more research and learning to see what they can do.

Remove Ads