Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello. I am a senior member of an organization of bird watchers in Syracuse, NY. We want to build a website by 2011 with satellite maps on it (google maps?) where users can click on the map, and add a "spot" to it that shows where they have sighted a certain bird species. They will also be able to upload a picture with this (if they have a photo of the location, or of the bird) and it will be visible with this map marker somewhere. They also will be able to write a description of this location, how to get there, and etc. Even better, would be if comments and ratings can be made, for other users can also chime in on these spots and say if they have also seen the birds there, or what their luck is. A 5 star rating system would be useful for users can filter out the best spots from the worst.

Before the spots on the map can show up, I want an admin to have to be able to approve it first, of course.

And we would also like a search where users can enter their zip code or town name and it will automatically center the map on that location and show all the closet bird spots.

The goal of this is to help bird watchers around Syracuse to track and locate the rarer avian species. To someone who is not an avid birdwatcher, this might seem silly, but this is very important research and we really do need a way of tracking where birds are spotted.

So my question to this forum is, what is the best way of making a website like this? Should I use the google maps API? And integrate it into some kind of a php site? I'm not looking for specifics, just a general outline of what the process would be and where to start, and what I'll need.

Thanks!
    Bill

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can do this with:

Front End:
    HTML/CSS

Server Side Language:
    PHP (free) OR
    ASP OR
    JSP

Database:
    MySQL (free) OR
    SQL Server Express (free)

You're also going to need to use the google maps api and code some logic so that a user can click a spot. Youd get the coordinates for this spot and save it into a database. Your users logins, bird pictures, ratings, comments would all be saved to the database.

You're gonna need to know how to build a database (properly), build a website using html/css or use a template and modify it, use some sort of server side language (php, asp) to communicate with your database, probably use some javascript for the google maps api click, google maps api. Quite a bit of work if you are new to building websites.

Step 1: Html/CSS template for the website front end

If you would like to hire someone to complete this for you, please email us :
    scott@reainc.net

I'm sure we could help you out
    If you decide to undertake this yourself, wish you the best of luck.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    You should also have a mobile friendly version of the site and/or a phone app (iTunes / Android / 7) that integrates with the map. Lots of phones have cameras / geo tagging, and that feature could come in handy.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I can give you a place to start ....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

You should specifically target birdwatchers that have cell phones with the ability
    to geotag photos. That means, they take a photo with their cell phone, and email
    it to a PHP script on your website. That photo is geotagged ... it contains the GPS
    coordinates of where the photo was taken. It also, of course, has their email address,
    to identify the user that took the photo.

You would also have a 2nd option where a user without that feature could go back to
    their PC at home and upload their photo, and also use the Google Map to pinpoint
    their spot as close as they can remember (where they took the photo). They would have
    to login to the website, since they are not using their cell phone.

Geotagging photos would really be the best option. You would be getting photos
    along with GPS, with very little effort on the part of the birdwatcher.

Remove Ads