Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I recently just found my first potential customer. They want me to design a website for their spa business including a lot of info about their services, locations, prices, coupons and more. I can design this easily, but i have no idea on how to price this. since it is just my first one, and it is not very important, i just ant to receive one large sum and be done with it. but idk what i want. i appreciate ANY advice. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You'll need to use PHP and MySQL to create a site where they can update content themselves (your own CMS system).

The rest is basically just a website. The only part you didn't mention was booking
    online, using credit cards ... that's a bit more involved.

I would say $300-$500 depending on how much of the graphics you are responsible for.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    You'll need to use PHP and MySQL to create a site where they can update content themselves (your own CMS system).

The rest is basically just a website. The only part you didn't mention was booking
    online, using credit cards ... that's a bit more involved.

I would say $300-$500 depending on how much of the graphics you are responsible for.
    I think that I will have to update the site by myself. the women that I am working for knows absolutely nothing about computers or the web. She just knows that she needs a web site.

I talked to my web design instructor, and she said that I should charge $75 per page. That's all fine with me, but now I just really need to work out updating the site. Im thinking free updates for a year, and then $20 per update?

Like I said, this is my first time, so what do you think about the $75/page, free updates for a year, and then $20/update?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    What you want to charge is probably OK.

I'll predict ahead of time what your experience will be ...

They won't know for sure what the site should look like, so you'll be providing many
    examples until they decide "it looks OK". They won't have any graphics for you, so
    you'll be doing all of that yourself ... and spending a lot of time on it. They will be
    excited about it for a couple of months, and then forget about it. So the site will
    become out-dated, with old content and bad information. They will then ask you to
    make many changes and expect you to keep it updated so that doesn't happen again.

You won't get paid properly because a web site is never complete (it is never "done).
    They will assume 20 changes in one week is "one change".

Changes they want you to make won't be fast enough ... "we emailed you, and
    why isn't the page changed yet"?

Because they know nothing about computers, web pages, and the internet,
    I'm thinking you'll end up in situations like these ...
    http://clientsfromhell.net

======================
    Bottom line ... get everything in writing before you press any keys on your keyboard.

Member #
    Hi,

I would suggest the following:

1. Work out your page rate i.e. $75.00 per page

2. Work out total cost for project, it not just website design:
    2a. Website Hosting?
    2b Website Domain?

3. Never offer a client free updates, especially for one year, thats not good. Simpy do the first update for free and let the client know your hourly rate for future updates.

4. Write a project brief which descirbes extactly what the client is going to get as a end result. Also state any additional requirements not listed in the document will be quoted seperatly.

5. Also take a 50% deposit before starting work. Very Very Important !!!!

6. When you have completed the project and if the client is happy then get a testimonal which you can show to your next client.

7. Start thinking about building your own website where you can state your services, examples of your work and contact details.

good luck....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpweb
    Hi,

I would suggest the following:

1. Work out your page rate i.e. $75.00 per page

2. Work out total cost for project, it not just website design:
    2a. Website Hosting?
    2b Website Domain?

3. Never offer a client free updates, especially for one year, thats not good. Simpy do the first update for free and let the client know your hourly rate for future updates.

4. Write a project brief which descirbes extactly what the client is going to get as a end result. Also state any additional requirements not listed in the document will be quoted seperatly.

5. Also take a 50% deposit before starting work. Very Very Important !!!!

6. When you have completed the project and if the client is happy then get a testimonal which you can show to your next client.

7. Start thinking about building your own website where you can state your services, examples of your work and contact details.

good luck....
    Thank you. I know that i would need to take a 50% deposite, and i like your way of handling the updates. I have plenty of hosting through 1and1, so im prett sure that i am just going to use that. and for the domain, im figuring if i am going to make them pay for updates, that i will just pay for that too.

I am already in the process of creating my own web site for this. And along with the testimonial, do you think it would be a good idea to give the client business cards and tell her to hand them out to people who might be interested?

Thanks again!

Member #
    Bump

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You forgot one other thing ...

What happens if they want to hire another person to add/edit or alter their website?
    You'll have to provide the other programmer with YOUR account information, because
    their spa site is in your webhost control. They own their site, so you'll have to comply.

If you make them use their own credit card to subscribe to 1and1 and they create
    their own domain name, own account, and pay for it themselves ... you can go ahead
    and do their website as you please, but you are not "married" to it. They can decide to
    hire elsewhere, or you can decide to drop it .. it works both ways.

I don't want to make it sound like it's destined to failure, but business relationships
    can go bad, and you need to be able to adapt to anything that happens. I'm sticking
    with my post #4. Give them a site where THEY can update content themselves. Let
    them edit various parts of the pages (but not everything). Let them adjust prices,
    spa hours, schedules, events, and the integration with FaceBook (if they want that).

Good luck.

Member #
    aaaah... the debuckles of freelancing... grrrrrrr...

Member #
    Personally I would be charging and hourly rate of $50 and hour, and as your experience grows, raise the rate every six months to a year. Also I would make sure you define who owns the design elements in a copyright notice, and keep hard copies. Lets say, the design is changed later down the track without you knowing, being this client is not very computer literate, may give a designer an image off Google or something that is plagiarized unintentionally. And if they were to be sued, have you not had copies of your own and the copyright information, the owner may claim ignorance, and yourself be held accountable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads