Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,
    I consider myself to be more of a web developer. I'm not very great with colours and designs. If given a design I'm very proficient at turning it into a css/html layout. So the question is: how likely is it that somebody with little artistic aptitude be able to pick up some design essentials? I can get get around in photoshop and graphic programs I just have trouble coming up with ideas. Is there a book or any resource you would recommend to help over come this obstacle?

Thanks for any input!

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    Welcome to our world.

Not many people (including myself) are very good at BOTH design and development.
    That's why I have a graphic designer that gives me the layouts, graphics, and PDF
    rendering of the sites ... and I do the actual "coding" ... making into a XHTML/CSS site.

Whatever the designer wants the site to look like, I make it render the same in all browsers.
    I don't do PhotoShop, Flash, or Graphics ... but I understand how they work. I leave the
    artistic creativity to the artist that knows nothing about XHTML, CSS or PHP.

I really think it's a "left-brain", "right-brain" conflict ... you can't be good at both?
    That's my opinion anyways.

Together, It's magic.

Member #
    It's also a technologist/designer schism.

Plus graphic art doesn't provide any interaction design savvy. If you had to approach the field, do it from the perspective of usability and interaction design -- not what kind of mystery meat navigation looks better than another.

Member #
    I'm currently studying web design. I'm not sure if this helps but teacher in my class suggested me to look at http://www.lynda.com/

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Hey deco,

I know the problem your having. Getting the right inspiration can be troublesome. I actually bought a book called "The Web Designer's Idea Book" by Patrick McNeil. I highly recommend it. It's basically a huge book of screenshots and color schemes. Its divided into sections based on element (i.e header, footer, buttons, etc), color (blue, red, green, etc), site type (e-commerce, glob, forum, cms, etc) as well as structure and theme.

If you can get hold of a copy, its a great source of inspiration. The ISBN is 978-1-60061-064-6. I would have thought you can get it on Amazon. I picked it up from my local bookshop.

Member #
    Me too, not good in graphics and i run out with ideas and concept that's why i never dream to be a designer anymore... with that said, am i left brain or right brain? heheh

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You shouldn't give up just like that.

Look at other designs. Look at art on deviantart.com. Get inspired by seeing good elements from other artists and designers.

Eventually, with all the exposure to art, you'll put bits and pieces of what you experienced together in your own way.

Everyone is an artist. You just have to learn to take it out.
    Carnavia is a Web Design Company that specializes in Web Design, Graphics and Internet Marketing. You can visit their Web Design Blog to learn more.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I've been working in the industry for about 12 years now... and I've never met another person who is good with the 3 major concerns of web design:

1. UI Layout (HTML) & Programming

2. Creative Design and Interactive Media

3. Usability, Information Architecture, and Content Writing

The reason these concerns are grouped into 3 categories is that there are different mindsets for each: The Technical, The Creative, and The Planner.

Few people can master all three, even over a lifetime. Even with 12 years of experience, I don't consider myself a master of all three, though I consider myself a top-tier programmer & designer, and a mid-level information architect.

I think you should determine what your mindset is best-suited for, and pursue a career that will exploit your skills to the maximum.

Member #
    Same, I'm good with the programming but not the design work!
    All down to how our brains work, not sure how much is true but isn't it all suppose to be to do with being left or right the more prominent side of the brain?

Like people have said, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who can do both well. I can knock up a design no problem, whether it's any good or not is a different matter.
    I suppose while it is nice to be able to do everything, it does help promote teamwork, just from working at the company I do, I'm one of the best with php / jquery, we have another guy who is awesome html / css and we also have the graphics design, makes for a pretty well rounded team!
    Mike Barlow
    WDF Co-Owner

Need help? PM Me!

Member #
    Hi guys,

Hey....guys...I m crazy about web design & want to learn so finding some better knowledge,& it seems all of ur ideas sounds good so i'll try from ur link.

Thanks

Regards
    ~~Lew~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads