Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    My parents recently purchased a retail furniture website. They are in the process of hiring a company to redesign the entire page, both front and back. They are both capable of using computers to email and do normal day-to-day tasks, but are relatively new to anything technical at all. Normal tasks take them a long time to accomplish. My question is... what back-end software is *the most* user friendly? By user friendly, I mean easy for a newbie or non-computer literate person to learn and navigate. I am looking for any recommendations as far as ease of use goes. Thanks for any and all responses, because some proposals have recommended keeping the back-end they currently have (i wish I could say what it is, but I can't recall right now), but this would not be good because they are having a lot of trouble using it.

Thanks again

Noah :lick:

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Need more information about the business.

Is it a retail store in a town and the website is more informational,
    or is it all online retail w/ drop shipments, across the US, etc.?

If it's going to be an online site where items are purchased online, they will
    need a full-time (or dedicated) person to handle the photos, uploads, pricing,
    online inventory, credit card handling, shipping, customer problems, etc.
    An online store is the same exact amount of work and time as a real physical store.

Member #
    Its an entirely online site with drop-shipping. I am going to be working for them on a full-time basis for copy-writing, entering in new items, etc. and my dad spent 40+ years in the retail furniture business. I am more computer savvy, but we still need something very simple for the back-end software for when they need to enter new inventory, etc. themselves.

BTW thanks for the quick response. Any advice is appreciated because this opportunity to start a family business is really something that is great, we just don't want to make any mistakes. And the learning curve as far as using the site has been difficult for them.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    The only thing I can say about this, since I'm not a furniture expert ...

I know the person that owns this company:
    http://www.lifestyleshomedecor.com/

He purchased X-Cart ecommerce shopping cart (which is sort of expensive).
    But he doesn't know much about programming. He had someone install it,
    but he does all of the inventory, photos, etc. That leads me to believe that
    it might be a good ecommerce package for someone that doesn't know
    much about computers.

I never asked him how well the business does. Like jewelry, I wonder how hard
    it is so get people to buy furniture without touching it, or trying it out?
    But, he does the drop-ship thing, and he seems to work with X-Cart without
    asking me for any help. I think X-Cart is expensive, but maybe you get what
    you pay for?

You might want get some answers from others on WDF ... maybe others have
    some ideas for you.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi! The first step of generating user-friendly website is determination of colors - they should reflect the main idea of the site and cause associations with a product.

Remove Ads