Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum, and have learned a lot so far. Thanks!

I have met with a client to see what improvements they need for their site. They want a login for distributors. So, when the customer is accepted as a distributor, they will have distributor pricing. So, once they login, their pricing shows and populates the order form.

I am in my second year of school for Web design, and I have no idea where to start with this.

I use Dreamweaver, (if that matters) and have no experience in this. I have been layed off, and REALLY need this job.

Can anyone help me, so I can go to the client and tell him I know how to do it!?

Thanks so much,
    Sheri

Member #
    Well, i can see your problem...

Probably the best way to go is with a prefab CMS that you can use.
    (Think Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress or other)

Install that and you'll have a powerful basis to start with. Next up, make or buy a template. Sometimes these are really complex to build (Joomla for instance) so you're better of buying and modifying something that's allready there. Then put in all the data you want and presto! you've got yourself a website.

The other way is to program everything yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know much about (mySQL) databases and PHP.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Sheri,
    So you're telling us that they already have an existing online ordering system?

But you want to alter that script to allow for "distributors" or "wholesale purchasing"?

If they have an existing online ordering system (shopping cart, login, etc), let us know
    what script (or system) they are currently using.

Member #
    shopping cart

They are using PayPal for their shopping cart. They are happy with it and would like to continue to use that.

To set up the site, he used Web Easy Professional 7. Using the code, is it transferable to Dreamweaver?

The site is showing retail pricing, and the goal is to have the distributors order online, showing their pricing.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    My first suggestion would be to upgrade them to a professional eCommerce system, which will provide an integrated ability to have disparate pricing levels. My suggestion would be Magento - Home - eCommerce Software for Growth, primarily because it's by far the best open source (free license available) ecommerce system available. It's also the most popular shopping cart on the market, having dominated the market in less than 2 years, and with 1000s of extensions for growth.

If your clients are adamant about not upgrading to a full-featured shopping cart, you'll have to learn some SQL and a programming language - I suggest that you start by reading some tutorials on MySQL and PHP - that'll be your quickest ramp-up to getting something developed.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    Sheri,

If you're using the PayPal buttons, as you have them already set up on their site,
    and then have the "add to cart" buttons and such ... the only way to do what you
    want is to create a whole new set of buttons just for the distributors.

After you do that, you'll have to use PHP for a log-in system and then alter all pages
    so that PHP decides which buttons to display, depending on the user logged in.

So ... you'll need to alter every page to use PHP (.php extension instead of .html), or
    use .htaccess to process HTML pages as PHP, and then create or install a log-in
    system so each distributor has their own login and password, and then the PHP scripting for all the pages themselves.

And yes, it will require PHP knowledge, a MySQL database, a login script, and time to program.

So you might just want to hire a programmer if everything I said seems foreign to you.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    If you're using the PayPal buttons, as you have them already set up on their site,
    and then have the "add to cart" buttons and such ... the only way to do what you
    want is to create a whole new set of buttons just for the distributors.
    Actually, you can have options on paypal buttons, which you can use for pricing levels. However, that could get to be a mess. I would just go with a shopping cart that has Paypal IPN integration.

Member #
    Liked
    723 times
    PayPal IPN would of course be the best way, but it sounds like they want to
    keep the shopping cart portion remaining on PayPal (with the add to cart button).

I think they should redo the whole thing (like you said), but they will have to
    hire a programmer ... most likely "a deal breaker" for the OP.

Member #
    Thanks for all of your information!

I will check into hiring a programmer for this.

Member #
    You can use dreamweaver with a local webserver like Xampp to test the PHP portions of your project. Dreamweaver in itself isn't too happy with PHP I think.

I can imagine that this kind of work isn't really for 'beginning' programmers, but for people that have experience with things like security and payment systems.
    Speaking for myself I made various CMS-like interfaces for websites. both a general CMS and custom built for clients. However it takes time and skill

Seeing as this is a web-designer forum, maybe it's time to take the plunge into PHP. You could use the internet as you go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads