Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am building a site for a client who wishes to sell a small piece of software.

A time limited trial will be downloaded and when it expires, the software prompts the user to purchase the key to unlock the full utility.

The user visits the site and purchases a unique key which is emailed and the software is unlocked.

What the client wants is to prevent customers from passing the software and unlock key on to others.

Can anyone suggest a simple and inexpensive way to accomplish this?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Hi,

You've probably got 2 decent options:

1) Code a licensing system into the product that calls home to check if the domain is licensed.
    2) Use something like SPBAS (SPBAS Business Automation Software | PHP Licensing) which is a licensing system.

Unfortunately any way you do it, you'll have to encrypt some code using ioncube/zend to prevent the license module being simply removed.

Member #
    Apologies Rick, I somehow missed this. The response is appreciated. We still haven't found a satisfactory solution though.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about users sharing the keys. Instead, I would implement a system where the product can only be registered to one user.

The client will need to refactor his software slightly. But, when the user registers, have it check the database to see if the key has already been used. If it has, then it stops multiple users from using it.

Naturally, I'd have the key expire after 24 hours anyway. When the user tries to activate after 24 hours they are forced to request a new key to their email address.

You will never stop people sharing the key if they wanted to. You could expire the key after 10 minutes, but that's going to cause customer service headaches.

Remove Ads