Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I'm currently running a wordpress blog being hosted with fatcow.

When I navigate to the site there seems to be a pretty good hang before the browser even begins to load the page. Most of the wait is when the browser says "waiting for www.craigstrade.com..."

Does this seem like a DNS issue?

Anyway, as you can see above, the URL is www.craigstrade.com

Any help diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Phil

etm
    Member #
    I suspect it's your host itself. With a shared account you will also be sharing resources for your WP database etc. To me, the lag looks like it could be the time it's taking to make the db calls.

I would monitor it over different times of the day and see if it gets better or worse. If it gets better at low peak times (later at night etc) then you know its the load on their servers causing issue.

It could also be something with your WP implementation itself, but others might have more to offer on that.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    WP Super Cache is an essential for any WordPress site.
    WordPress WP Super Cache WordPress Plugins

Also install YSlow which is part of the Firebug plugin for Firefox. It will give you some suggestions on areas you can improve upon for speed.
    Yahoo! YSlow for Firebug

You can also check your website's speed at Pingdom. I suggest running the test twice.
    Yahoo! YSlow for Firebug

Member #
    Someone mentioned WP Cache. I second that. If you don't have it installed, get it installed.

Other things that can slow you down. PNG files with lots of transparency. Run any of your images through yahoo's smush.it to get faster loading images. There are other ways to do that, but that's one that I use because it's easy. At times, it leaves the image to be less than desirable, but 90% of the time, it's just fine.

Database queries from WP can slow you down...but WP Cache can handle most of that.

Yslow was previously mentioned, too. Use it! On that line, the firefox plugin Firebug as a whole is an essential for any designer.

Member #
    I've done a few Wordpress sites with custom themes and here is are thoughts:

1) Look into everything people have stated above. Especially WP Super Cache.

2)This may be an issue with plugin scripts (or any scripts for that matter) running in the head of your website, as opposed to the script. Make sure that all of your scripts are being called in the footer. Some plugins do this by default, others take a little tweaking.

3)Another plugin to look into is WP Minify... it automatically minimizes all of you external CSS and JS. It also has the functionality of forcing all JS to the footer (if you have correctly called "wp-footer" in your theme template). Sometimes, this feature can screw some stuff up though so just mess around with it.

Hope that helps some!

Remove Ads