Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I've embedded a video using Dreamweaver CS5 onto my site and the code is:

<object classid="clsid:166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab#version=10,1,1,0" width="176" height="158" title="MyVideoTitle">
    <param name="src" value="videos/TheNameOfMyVideoHere.3gp" />
    <param name="BGCOLOR" value="#FFFFFF" />
    <embed src="videos/TheNameOfMyVideoHere.3gp" width="176" height="158" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/"></embed>
    </object>

I made the video on iMovie and saved it as a .3gp file (the default for tiny videos) for the small file size (176x158.)

It works great on the browsers I've tested (Mac FF, Safari, Camino, GoogChrome, Windows FF), EXCEPT it doesn't load on Safari for Windows (works fine on Mac) and IE8 (and probably IE7, which I don't have.) Perhaps there are others where it won't work, too.

The spot for the video comes up on the site, and says the words, "Adobe Shockwave..", but never loads.

What is the problem here?

Thanks for any help on this!

Also taking suggestions for the best way (method, format, file type, etc..) to embed a tiny video on my site, that isn't YouTube, etc..I want it clean and simple and no advertising. P.S. I'm not a designer...just a guy with a website and CS5.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What kind of server are you using to host it? Are you doing this locally? Are you using Apache or IIS?

Member #
    alligatortek,

To be honest, I have no idea. I FTP my files to my webhost Pair.com. Here is what they say they have:

"Our local network is fully-switched and collision-free, while our external connections are GigE (up to 10,000Mbps) to five diverse backbone networks. We use Juniper Networks routers and Foundry Networks switches for wire-speed, rock-solid connectivity to our upstream providers. " and

"We maintain more than two thousand FreeBSD UNIX servers in our datacenters...We use only top-of-the-line Intel and AMD servers,

Thanks for the response. Any idea why my video works on Safari on a Mac but not on Safari on Windows? That is baffling to me...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm thinking that it might have something to do with how your mime types are configured. If you a pushing up to a host and then testing across all your browsers, this is probably the case. A 3gp file format is not a common web video format, so your server may need to be configured to host this file type. It says that your host uses UNIX environments, so they are probably using Apache as the web server. Contact your host to ask about their mime type configurations.

If this doesn't work, it may also be possible that there is a local misconfiguration or missing plugin. Did you try Safari on a another Windows box?

Member #
    alligatortek,

I kind of wondered about .3gp. I had never heard of that video format until using iMovie. This morning I was thinking it made sense to convert the video to .swf instead, but there seems to be quality issues with that format (and file size issues.) I am trying to hit the 1mb mark for file size. Does this logic sound correct to you? What about .FLV? I have read that it is considerably larger a file size (than .swf.)

On the Safari matter, I just downloaded and installed Safari on the Windows side of my MacBook Pro to test the issue. I assume it came with all the necessary plugins? I also downloaded the general java update.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    FLV is pretty-much the standard format for flash video. I would not encode the movie as a swf, as that's not really standard practice anymore.

Member #
    Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will convert it to .FLV and hopefully that will solve any browser issues.

Remove Ads