Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So I am a sophomore majoring in Web Design at a university (a brick and mortar one, not online). I've encountered some cynicism, however, from others about how useful such a degree would actually be. I will be learning HTML, CSS, Javascript, Java, C++, PHP, SQL and a few more languages I can't remember at the moment, as well as taking some art , business and journalism courses.

Do you guys think its a waste of money?

Let me just say this - I LOVE designing websites. I enjoy it very much because it allows me to be creative and at the same time useful in some way.The artistic aspect of the major attracts me more than anything (I'd probably be a graphic designer if my university offered it)

However, I am wondering if its really worth the amount of money I'm gonna be paying back in the end (so far I've racked up about $20,000) I would like to work with a company because I would have job security, though I am not against freelancing ( I've thought about starting to make templates and such for money just to gain experience).

I will say that I am somewhat disappointed with my university's program. None of the stuff we are learning is cutting edge really, just the basics. I've also not really learned that much to be honest. I already knew Photoshop, HTML, and CSS before I came here, and in my second year I would have expected to get more in depth with what I am supposed to be doing.

What I'd like to know is : What are the chances of actually acquiring a job with a bachelor's degree in web design? Is the market really something that someone can actually get a job in? What kind of competition and pay can I expect?

I've tried to do some research on my own but typing in "web design major" in a search engine just gives me lots of links to online universities, (which I don't need because I am already in school)

So any advice?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LostLuna View Post
    So I am a sophomore majoring in Web Design at a university (a brick and mortar one, not online). I've encountered some cynicism, however, from others about how useful such a degree would actually be. I will be learning HTML, CSS, Javascript, Java, C++, PHP, SQL and a few more languages I can't remember at the moment, as well as taking some art , business and journalism courses.

Do you guys think its a waste of money?

Let me just say this - I LOVE designing websites. I enjoy it very much because it allows me to be creative and at the same time useful in some way.The artistic aspect of the major attracts me more than anything (I'd probably be a graphic designer if my university offered it)

However, I am wondering if its really worth the amount of money I'm gonna be paying back in the end (so far I've racked up about $20,000) I would like to work with a company because I would have job security, though I am not against freelancing ( I've thought about starting to make templates and such for money just to gain experience).

I will say that I am somewhat disappointed with my university's program. None of the stuff we are learning is cutting edge really, just the basics. I've also not really learned that much to be honest. I already knew Photoshop, HTML, and CSS before I came here, and in my second year I would have expected to get more in depth with what I am supposed to be doing.

What I'd like to know is : What are the chances of actually acquiring a job with a bachelor's degree in web design? Is the market really something that someone can actually get a job in? What kind of competition and pay can I expect?

I've tried to do some research on my own but typing in "web design major" in a search engine just gives me lots of links to online universities, (which I don't need because I am already in school)

So any advice?
    It's tough out there, but the jobs are there (at least in my state). I only finished my associates, school sounded similar to yours. You will likely need to learn more than the classes teach, but the degree helps. Getting initial experience is the hard part.

Currently My pay is kind of crap, I make about $30K but then again I live in a smaller city, and have turned down $50k because I didn't want to have 1 hour 15 minute commute and I like the work environment I am in.

In my opinion it is worth it, as long as you can pick up some of it on your own.

If it's something you love go for it.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Keep your focus on the programming aspect ... since your graphic skills may already be strong. Probe into the mobile internet applications. Your template designing skills are also good to have. In this "new age" of boring and canned templated applications (cough, Wordpress), it's the processing of information that will become so important.

Everyone's nephew can "make a web page", but not everyone can bridge the gap between databases and user interfaces (mobile, laptop, desktop, etc). I think your "experience by doing" is more valuable than the classes you are taking ... but that piece of paper you get in the end will be crucial in getting the job you want. Don't stop now.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Keep working on the portfolio.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads