Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: which language?

Member #
    hello everyone!
    i am ankur, new to this forum. well i want to make a website, but dont know much , so i need the help of you people out here.

i just know some html, css. i am a good programmer in c++.

well i want to make a dynamic web site, where users can come and register their events, and those events are to be displayed in the home page dynamically, so please guide me what should i start learning. some say php, some go for asp with c#.
    please help me as to what should i start learning.
    it will be a great help.

thankyou

Member #
    You could start with a CMS or content management system such as joomla, wordpress, etc. and to design a template from scratch or faster easier way check out www.cooltemplate.com they also have asp template maker. Thats if you want the "Free way"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, CMS is a good start I also would advice Drupal CMS.

Member #
    what about design in photoshop and converting to html in dream weaver.

etm
    Member #
    If you are a strong C++ programmer, than you should have no issue transitioning to either PHP or ASP.net C# programming.

Its a loaded question as to which way to go. PHP is a language and ASP.NET is an entire library framework. We won't get into PHP frameworks like Zend etc. and complicate the issue further.

Really it comes down to cost, ultimate goals and community. PHP, Apache etc costs virtually nothing, while the Windows technology has higher built-in costs, however, MS has a new Website Spark program that allows you to get the needed ASP.NET development tools for basically nothing if you qualify: WebsiteSpark - Home

Although .NET has a strong community, it can't compare with the scale of the PHP resources out there.

So in the end, maybe it comes down to what you want to achieve with dynamic sites. Is it strictly personal stuff, go PHP. Are you looking to expand employable skills? PHP again is great in many situations, but if you are looking at getting work in corporate circles or in any level of government, learning ASP.NET and related MS technologies would be the way to go.

Banned
    Member #
    PHP is the way to go. The majority of open source CMSs out there all run on PHP. If you learn that your posiblities are endless.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Use PHP.
    New Jersey Website Design: We offer services in Web Design, SEO, Website Design, Belmar Web Design
    We are located in Belmar, New Jersey and Collingswood, New Jersey
    www.AKonlinedesign.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    asp is limited and pretty much useless. like paying for a benz and getting a geo. php is closer to c++ and has more flexibility. cost nothing. finding a host that supports asp is going to be harder as well. if you just want to throw something up, use a cms. but again you will be constrained by what it offers lest you rebuild half of it to support custom scripts. really you would be better off using php and/or an api from one of the blog providers.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I doubt any of the CMSes that are standard would work here. The OP is looking for an event calendar, which I'm guessing means "trade show" or possibly "consumer show". Those have specific fields that require some programming knowledge.

ASP and ASP.net are two very different beasts. .NET is a framework, as someone has said. ASP is a language that was abandoned in favor of the framework. But ASP can still do quite a lot of stuff if you're willing to take a lot of time to learn it (most ASP code samples are horrible and they take time and effort to learn how to do properly). It would work for what you want, though. I know because I've done similar sites in ASP in the past, and it always was a very misunderstood, poorly explained language.

Since you know C++, I'd say that C#.NET would be the way to go. I don't know the syntactical differences between the two (I prefer VB.net myself just because it's easier for me to read) but it probably will give you what you want.

As far as Windows hosting, most hosts that offer Windows hosting offer shared hosting for pretty much the same as Linux hosting. Dedicated, you pay a bit more, but it's not anywhere near as far apart in pricing as it used to be.

What it comes down to is "try a language or framework, see if you can work with it." If you can't, try a different one. It's really about what you're comfortable with.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads