Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a random request. I'm looking for an example of a good one-page web site that has a counter or a tracker.

So basically a web site that is really simple and is just tracking/counting something. I work for a non-profit in Chicago, and we're looking to get a web site up that simply tracks the number of people who donate to a cause/campaign and how much has been raised. There would be a little bit of info about the campaign and whatnot, but I think keeping it to one page would be ideal.

But I'm looking for good examples of this. I know I've seen some examples of like a "countdown" timer or something... but I'm wondering if there's examples of a simple counter/tracker web site.

And I would not be designing or coding anything.

I just have to find some examples to send to our could-be designer. So any fancy talk might go over my head. I'm just looking for examples.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    A site counter ... when a page is viewed or refreshed is super easy.

But you want to count donations and keep track of donation amounts.
    That's not the same as a "site or page counter".

In that case, you'll have to either have a person enter that daily (manually),
    or use a database of some kind that keeps track of that information ...

How are the donations made (PayPal, or some other CC merchant)?
    Are the donations online, or do people send a check to someone?
    Knowing how the donations are made will answer the question of "how to do it".

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    A site counter ... when a page is viewed or refreshed is super easy.

But you want to count donations and keep track of donation amounts.
    That's not the same as a "site or page counter".

In that case, you'll have to either have a person enter that daily (manually),
    or use a database of some kind that keeps track of that information ...

How are the donations made (PayPal, or some other CC merchant)?
    Are the donations online, or do people send a check to someone?
    Knowing how the donations are made will answer the question of "how to do it".

Again, I'm not concerned with how to pull this off. That's the designer/programmer's job. I'm just looking for EXAMPLES to send to said designer/programmer.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You probably won't find those examples for a few reasons:

1) It depends on how the donations were received (online, mail order/telephone order, donation box, door-to-door, fundraising, etc.)

2) It depends on what language(s) the server hosting the page supports.

3) In the case of online donations, it would depend on who the payment processor is, since processing code varies by processors.

That's what mlseim was trying to tell you...the factors involved will probably make what you're looking for next to impossible to find. Whoever your programmer is should be telling you guys what (s)he can build, not the other way around. A good programmer takes a conceptual problem and builds a solution for it (most of the time...some problems are just too weird).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To expand on this a little more, I can give you an example of how to put a donation button on a website.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...-intro-outside

That looks like it would solve your problem, but it can't and doesn't. PayPal would track things internally, but it wouldn't show the results externally, nor is the user automatically guided back to the website to complete the donation process. This means that if the user doesn't go back to your site, the site can't log the donation, which means your total is understated. You'd either need a manual entry or some other way to handle this situation, and that's where you're going to have to rely on someone who has the experience and knows what they're doing to help you out.

I know you didn't want a lot of technical explanation, but unfortunately it's necessary for clarity.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    If you want to keep it simple, and not even have to pay anyone, just set up a cause on facebook, hell, everyones on facebook nowadays
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Here's an example:
    Thermometer

Here's some more examples:
    http://code.google.com/apis/chart/

Here's even more examples:
    http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&b...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Remove Ads