Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Greetings fellow website designers

I am admittedly somewhat new to site design and have uploaded the index.html file to my host server.

When I go to open the site from my browser by typing in the url, it gives me a 404 error.
    When I type in the website name/index.html, it brings up the website.

What folder does the index.html need to be in so that it brings up the site without users having to type: www.xxxxxxx.com/index.html?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The folder you have it in now. It sounds like you have it uploaded correctly, but it's a server configuration issue.

Try renaming index.html to index.htm (no L). and see if that works. You can also try default.html and default.htm, although those are longshots. If so, index.html is not considered a default page for your website. If not, you'll have to contact your site's host and let them know the issue.

Either way, it doesn't sound on the surface like you did anything wrong.
    Harmonic likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    place index.html in the public_html folder

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I think he already would have done that. Otherwise, index.html wouldn't have showed up in a browser, would it?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    When I type in the website name/index.html
    You're right TheGame, missed that! Could a .htaccess file be messing with the directories?

Try TheGames's suggestion of default.html or even try home.html
    Worth a shot trying.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Oh yeah. Home too. (Not a Linux guy.)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 198373
    Oh yeah. Home too. (Not a Linux guy.)

I did all the possible variations and finally filed a ticket on it. They went in and studied the situation and said that the htaccess was entered wrong, which, oddly, I had done, to the T, exactly like their tutorial video said to set it up.

Oh well, its working now. I appreciate your suggestion to just get help. lol .. Your input and suggestions were much appreciated!!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    If you can, keep the old .htaccess file (rename it to something else), download the new one, and compare the two. Maybe you'll see your mistake (if you made one).

Member #
    im new in designing. but i didnt encounter that problem. what is your server host?

Member #
    I am with bluehost. Their support seems fast, friendly and obliging...

Remove Ads