Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    freetips.eu

Im curently developing an idea for a site. I have a clear veiw of what i want it to become. Unfortunatly my web design skills are very poor.

I want to put a table on a page that i can changed on a weekly basis simply ( i have no idea about computer language) do i need a database or is there other options

note: the table will contain statistical information on football teams.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You could update it manually (as in create a page and update it), which would probably be the easiest way in the short run...but in the long run would take longer to update and create more code errors.

The best way would be to create a database or an XML file (database would be much easier) and have it outputted as you update things.
    Stephen Lawson likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lawson, post: 211805
    freetips.eu

Im curently developing an idea for a site. I have a clear veiw of what i want it to become. Unfortunatly my web design skills are very poor.

I want to put a table on a page that i can changed on a weekly basis simply ( i have no idea about computer language) do i need a database or is there other options

note: the table will contain statistical information on football teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 211806
    You could update it manually (as in create a page and update it), which would probably be the easiest way in the short run...but in the long run would take longer to update and create more code errors.

The best way would be to create a database or an XML file (database would be much easier) and have it outputted as you update things.
    there problem i have is i cant write in code so changing information which for you may take seconds for me a lifetime this xlm file im right in thinking i can up date data simply using software which in turn will then update the site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The only way you're going to do that is if you have a database for it. And in order to have a database for it, you're going to have to do some programming (or get really lucky and find a script specifically geared to what you're doing, but that's unlikely and a risky proposition).

So...your answer, as much as it will probably suck for you to hear, is to learn how to code something. Whether it's basic HTML or you graduate to a server-side programming language, you're going to have to learn. That's how we all get better at everything in life...none of us started out knowing anything about web design, and there are some really smart people here. So go ahead...get your knowledge on.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I majored in business and finance this is my area of expertise I have a business model which is sound. i have the market niches pin down. I have the affiliates necassary to make the site profitable. I dont intend to learn how to do develop websites just yet. Time is money and in the time it takes me to learn, chances are the boats left port so ill employ somebody who's an expert in this field to do the work for me. The best way to get ahead in life is to know your limitations and aquire knowledge from anywhere possible. A business is only as good as its personel. A one man band can make a living but he'll never acheive his full potential as a lone ranger.

Im simply trying to put a picture into words I know what I want I just dont know how to ask in the right terminology.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You will want a database to populate the table... Updating will be done through a "admin console"

Since I'm assuming there will probably be some other information... Besides the table... Managing this data would also be done from the console.

Possibly this can be done from a CMS content managent system like joomla, wordpress , drupal ... Or even a custom built....

Member #
    cheers great answer

problem 2

will i be able to incorporate programs within this system for example i want to do a head to head on two football teams. I need to extrapolate data from the database from both team thus giving me two lists of statistics side by side thus making comparisons easy.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    if all of the data is in the database....

once it's there... you can do pretty much anything you want with that data...

depending on how the DB is setup, ( structure wise )... that would be a very simple query

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lawson, post: 211810
    I majored in business and finance this is my area of expertise I have a business model which is sound. i have the market niches pin down. I have the affiliates necassary to make the site profitable. I dont intend to learn how to do develop websites just yet. Time is money and in the time it takes me to learn, chances are the boats left port so ill employ somebody who's an expert in this field to do the work for me. The best way to get ahead in life is to know your limitations and aquire knowledge from anywhere possible. A business is only as good as its personel. A one man band can make a living but he'll never acheive his full potential as a lone ranger.

Im simply trying to put a picture into words I know what I want I just dont know how to ask in the right terminology.
    My mistake. The way I interpreted what you were saying is that you were looking to learn how to do this. But if you're looking for someone to help you and you're willing to pay them, we do have a marketplace for this. I can move this thread there if you want.

The one thing I want to know, though, is if this is related to gambling or just statistics. If this is related to gambling, this may pose an issue with the website owners as they may have an issue with their bandwidth provider and gambling sites. I'm not sure on this, though.

Member #
    Wonderful happy days

I figured as much

everythings easy when u know how

ok ball park figure what would one expect to pay for something like that to be set up taking into consideration the database would contain a page for twenty teams using the same fields for every team thus making comparisons simplistic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads