Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    I am new here, but not to the field. I moved to NC two years ago for some reason I simply cannot get my business off the ground. What has hurt me is the fact that I continuously change my business site from flat files to WordPress,which affects my ranking. I have finally decided to stick with WP, which has given me a ranking already, but my business is still stagnant. How can I crack the code for success?
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Wordpress has nothing to do with SEO or ranking, despite all of the wonderful misinformation and SEO tools and all-in-one packs that suggest otherwise. It's a tool, and not a very good one, used to create blogs and for some bizarre reason people think it can be used to create entire websites (which was not its intended purpose). So that's not your problem as such, unless you're not 301ing the old "flat file" pages to the new "Wordpress" pages (which may have an effect.)

If you're focusing on rankings alone, that's another reason why you're not cracking the code, as you put it. Rankings are not equal to referral traffic. You can "rank" for a phrase that no one can find. You can "rank" for a phrase on your machine or based on your personal settings or based on your history from your Google account or any one of a whole bunch of other things that most other users won't see. So stop worrying about it.

And if you're not cracking the code, it's because you're not distinguishing yourself. Different cracks the code. Always has. Always will. Whatever it is that you do that few others or no one else can...that's what you should be doing. Whatever that is, of course, is up to you...and if you don't know what that is, either figure out what that is or you're in the wrong line of work.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 213318
    Wordpress has nothing to do with SEO or ranking, despite all of the wonderful misinformation and SEO tools and all-in-one packs that suggest otherwise. It's a tool, and not a very good one, used to create blogs and for some bizarre reason people think it can be used to create entire websites (which was not its intended purpose.
    The one thing that distinguished me from the rest was the fact that I was a Flash geek. Some people specialized in one thing, I use to do Flash and everything else that others do. Unfortunately, Flash has taken a turn for the worst.

I agree and disagree; WP has nothing to do with seo. What separates it from flat files is the fact that you can add content on the fly. The SEO plugins that are provided for WP kind of does the opposite in some instances so I do all that I can to avoid using plugins.

As far as WP not being that good of a tool for site building, I will have to disagree. Six years ago it was a blogging tool that you can make a small website with. Today, you are sadly mistaken.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Am I?

WordPress is one of the most insecure scripts out there, requires constant upgrades/patches, and is a hacker target. That alone should make anyone think twice about using it. Yes, it does make content "easier" to maintain in some instances, but it is limited in what it can do, and a good developer will be able to build things that go past the limits of what WP can produce. Not only that, a good developer will be able to build a "CMS" (I really hate that term myself) that is comparable to, or better than, anything the WP community can come up with...as you quite rightly mentioned, the plugins are usually poorly coded and accomplish the opposite of the intended effect.

Now, this comes from someone that's been building things for 12 years, so I have a code base to draw from of my own that for my purposes is better than that of the WP code base. This is one of my unique selling propositions...I have a buttload of code to draw from in two languages and it's mine exclusively (I developed it over the years). And I'm not really a graphic guy. So my needs are radically different than yours or anyone else's for that matter. But I won't have anything to do with WP unless I've specifically warned the client about it first.

Now, going back to you...you like WordPress. You build sites using WordPress. That in itself doesn't make you one in a million, that makes you one of a million. I've seen your stuff and it's pretty nice-looking stuff...but the problem is that you're in a boat with all sorts of other graphic guys who build nice-looking stuff.

Again, what makes you DanExcell? What can you personally offer that few or no others can? If you can answer that, and answer it in a way others can see, you'll solve your problem. If you can't, you won't. It really is that simple in your case.

You're right about Flash, by the way. Outside of Youtube, it's had its run and now it's dying off as is the case with a lot of web stuff.
    DanExcell likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    To: Game1264
    You make a very strong point and I appreciate your honesty. Perhaps it's time I start looking more into php or Ruby. I actually have a little CMS that I built using PHP many moons ago. It was not as pretty as WP but way more secure. The truth of the matter is I am a graphic guy, while HTML, CSS and Actionscript were easy for me to pick up, raw PHP hurts my head sometimes.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Yeah, it's not for everyone. I hate PHP code myself...it looks so spaghetti.
    Ruby might be a good angle, though. Not a lot of people are building using it, so it might work out for you.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    "Yeah, it's not for everyone. I hate PHP code myself...it looks so spaghetti."
    That is a good one (lol)

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 213318
    Wordpress has nothing to do with SEO or ranking, despite all of the wonderful misinformation and SEO tools and all-in-one packs that suggest otherwise. It's a tool, and not a very good one, used to create blogs and for some bizarre reason people think it can be used to create entire websites (which was not its intended purpose).
    AM will kill you if she saw that :P
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I am forced to use an ancient version of WordPress on my site so it's probably pretty insecure.
    But outside of updating it and it taking down the whole site when upgrading to 3.2, WordPress is an absolutely wonderful tool that allowed me to focus on what's important to me-the content, rather than learning PHP (which I want to do anyway) and spending 6 months making myself a lousy and bug-ridden "CMS" of my own.
    So I disagree that WordPress is not useful in certain situations.
    But, I would definitely NOT build a site that is not a blog or somethign with articles that get updated regularly!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    You could always try Joomla. They have now released 1.7. Personally I love it and use it for all my clients sites.... only thing i want it to have... is a frigging blogging module...(which it doesnt really.) But thats me.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads