Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Finding a good font that fits a website design makes that design look ten times better. That is also my biggest struggle. I know that there are many different websites and other resources that can be used to look for fonts, but how do you really know if a certain font is the one for your design?

Please post any advice you may have on finding the right font.

Here is the link to one of the websites I've been working on:
    [http://www.my-testing-area.netne.net...Tech_Index.php]
    If you have any suggestions for some fonts that might go well with it.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Well, you won't really know if it fits until you try it (unless you are super pro).
    Check out this place, it has loads of fonts, and they don't need installing or anything, just link them to your page. And it's from google, so how bad could it be?
    oohh, it looks like they updated the page since I last visited.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Well, that website you linked to, the major issues with the fonts is that the heading is Times New Roman or something Other than that the font isn't too bad.
    The two fonts you want to majorly avoid:
    -Times New Roman
    -Comic Sans

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 213378
    Well, that website you linked to, the major issues with the fonts is that the heading is Times New Roman or something Other than that the font isn't too bad.
    The two fonts you want to majorly avoid:
    -Times New Roman
    -Comic Sans
    I don't get what you mean... There's 206 fonts you can choose from.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    One thing to remember when choosing a font for a web page... Just because you select it doesn't mean a visitor will see it that way...

Unless you choose a font that every computer already has installed...

Using a font family will get you closer...as if a user doesn't have a particular font it will use and display one from the family... Unless of course you embed a font... Install it on your server... Which means your visitors browser will need to download it the first time someone visits the site...

Using the above mentioned method is ok... But if for some reason the servers are not available... Or a visitors browser is not allowed to install fonts ( ie.. Business computers )... Then all that effort to select the " perfect font "... Is wasted.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 213409
    One thing to remember when choosing a font for a web page... Just because you select it doesn't mean a visitor will see it that way...

Unless you choose a font that every computer already has installed...

Using a font family will get you closer...as if a user doesn't have a particular font it will use and display one from the family... Unless of course you embed a font... Install it on your server... Which means your visitors browser will need to download it the first time someone visits the site...

Using the above mentioned method is ok... But if for some reason the servers are not available... Or a visitors browser is not allowed to install fonts ( ie.. Business computers )... Then all that effort to select the " perfect font "... Is wasted.
    But linking a google font isn't the same as installing it. It links it with this:
    [COLOR=rgb(34, 34, 34)][COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]<link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Rosario&v2' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]I know it doesn't need installing because I don't have admin permissions, and I still use it[/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I put this
    (link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Orbitron&v2' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css')
    into the head of the website, but I have never used these. How do I call that font so I can apply it to the text in the website?
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk095, post: 213422
    I put this
    (link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Orbitron&v2' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css')
    into the head of the website, but I have never used these. How do I call that font so I can apply it to the text in the website?
    It explains how on google fonts, right after it gives you the link. You use it like you would use a regular font. Put in into a 'font-family' attribute in your css.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    But linking a google font isn't the same as installing it.
    It all depends on the target market... you might be able to install fonts... but I can tell you... most properly run networks... minimize what the average user can do to just functions and or changes necessary for the business objective... no reason for a user to install a font they don't have...everything the need is provided for them...

That being said:

linking to a google font may be ok in some instances... but the most recent firewall I setup... has an option to limit the number of 3rd party connections to a web site... strictly a security concern that came from advertisers not monitoring their servers... getting hacked... and sending malicious code to thousands of computers visiting legitimate web sites....

So if the google fonts server is not in the whitelist to "allow".... the site using that font... is not going to show how they want it to... it's going to show the browsers "default font"....

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    BTW... those font sites are great for a particular font in a graphic that you are creating... logos.. etc... and if you're going to embed any of the really nice fonts that you may have paid for... you will need to check your license agreement with them...as many have restricted use clauses built into them... meaning you can only use the font in graphics... but not installed on a server for others to use...

Remove Ads