Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Help:help:

Member #
    I am very new to this field.But wanted to built my own website.Since I am a electronics student so I wanted to built my own website for my project promotion purpose do please guide me .I dont want any free online portal but want to built my own.
    And is it possible to host my website from my home network(A pc based server connected to internet 24/7).

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Not to be insulting or anything, but I'm gonna assume you don't know anything about web design. In that case start out in w3schools.com. Master HTML and CSS. Depending on how good you want your site to be, you might want to learn a bit of javascript/jquery.
    This might take a while though. Your alternatives are: buy an expensive WYSIWYG editor (Dreamweaver) because they require minimal knowledge of code OR hire a web designer to do it for you.
    Unless you want to get into web design, it's not worth it to learn all those languages for one site.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Thank you for your quick reply.I currently have dreamweaver cs4 with me.I think that can do the work so apart from that what is joomla and word press.

Member #
    and what about home hosting using my pc server

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkar, post: 213391
    Thank you for your quick reply.I currently have dreamweaver cs4 with me.I think that can do the work so apart from that what is joomla and word press.
    Well, if you have DW cs4 and don't know much about code, then you can get started with that. DW is pretty horrible with code, but we can probably help you out if it get really bad
    joomla and wordpress are content managment systems. You take already-made templates, and customize them to your liking. This requires knowledge of moderate HTML/CSS and a bit of PHP in case you get errors and such.
    Sorry I'm not sure about PC hosting. I know a good free host you can use for testing though.

Member #
    that means I need to study about html and css Right,Please provide the free hosting site.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkar, post: 213399
    that means I need to study about html and css Right,Please provide the free hosting site.
    Yeah definitely study up on those. Here's the free hosting site that I like.

Member #
    Thanks a lot .....................Its time for Study...:nerd:

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Depending on your Internet provider... Will determine if you can host from home..

Most ISP's don't allow web hosting on residential accounts... Not only that... But you are as new to this as I suspect... You can potentially open up every pc on your home network to hackers... If the connection and server are not setup properly.

I would suggest a low cost hosting plan... Some are month to month so when you're done with your project... Just stop... Of course you can get a cheap hosting plan for a year... For what it might cost for 6 months of the month to month hosting...

You will need a domain name no matter which route you go... If you are able to host at home you'll also need a dynamic dns account somewhere to point the domain name to your setup.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Once you get a grasp on HTML and CSS... There are a lot of free templates that you can download and see how they are done... But that's for another day

Remove Ads