Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    I am new to the whole web design things, but I wanted to ask, I have a website that I am working on, its at www.newmartbuildersinc.com
    I am trying to add something to that site, I want to put maybe A java style menu system that will allow for a estimating option. I want to enter all the values in and anyone can log on to that page and pick out exactly what they want for a instant quote, something like carports.com. I am not too sure what is the best way to tackle this. Any tips in the right direction would be amazing. I am thinking that java will be the best bet, but like I said I am not sure. The whole page to my knowledge is all completely html, so this will be a feat for someone like me who is still new to all of this. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    I presume your meaning the potential client picks items from lists and it totals up at the bottom? Some kind of calculator?

I know its a Joomla 1.5 module But this may help you do what your after - http://makemoneyscripts.com/cost-calculator-script.html

P.S: If anyone finds a Joomla 1.6 compatible calc please tell me!!!!
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Here's one example I found ...
    http://www.daniweb.com/web-developme...threads/341275

Another one I found ...
    http://simplythebest.net/scripts/DHT...script_49.html

I would think AJAX/PHP is the best way to go.
    But, interesting that there are not many scripts available ... I'm not sure why.

Member #
    I am going to look into it tonight, i am trying this all out, ight end up just going straight for java based, im not too sure just yet, like i said i am a rookie at this stuff, but the guy who owns it is helping me to get my feet wet.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I've creates several calculators using just ASP... should probably convert to asp.net ( eventually )...

they are actually pretty simple to do.... once you define your calculations... only drawback to asp... you have to post to the page... to calculate... so AJAX... or ASP.NET would allow you to do the calcs on changes... without refreshing the page...

Member #
    I will have to do one that auto refreshes on the page, cant have it on refresh. So asp.net would prolly be the best bet? And I can do that to this webpage that is linked with little hassle?

Member #
    with me not knowing ASP is that going to be hard?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    When looking around, don't use the term "Java" if you really mean "Javascripting".
    They are not the same thing. What you are indicating, is the use of AJAX, which
    combines Javascripting and PHP (most popular), or other server-side scripting.
    AJAX is a "method", not a programming language. AJAX will provide the seamless
    integration of updates without page refreshes. JQuery is Javascripting, and has
    prebuilt libraries with great GUI functions. Look into that also, along with AJAX.

I'm not familiar with ASP applications, but look into that also. I think you would need to use
    a Windows server, instead of UNIX? That's something you would have to look into with your shared webhost.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Mlseim is correct... Slipped by me... Java is a full blown programming language that can be used on the web ( huge learning curve )... But is not related to JavaScript at all...

Asp is best run ok windows based servers... The chilisoft asp for apache servers never quite caught on with it's limited functionality...

If you put all of your selections in drop downs... You can refresh the page automatically on changes.. But that is old school..

Calculating can be done with any scripting language.. But to give it that professional look and feel.. Ajax should be incorporated to calcutate your changes without having to refresh the page completely...

Member #
    I looked at the link that was sent, looking at the simplythebest one, im looking into it, and im trying to basically learn the programming language as I go, I have figured out adding a number, such as product line 7, and i figured to make the price show up and how to do all that, but im running into a error when hitting the total button, something along this lines will work with the page, i will just have to rebuild the entire page once im fully capable. they are well aware of my learning, so its not like I am expected perfection. Far as the ajax style and the full blown java programming, I am learning, all your saying is being read and stored thank you all for all the help so far, its moving me hopefully towards a career option

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads