Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I used eNom (expensive but great) to register shovenose.com well anyway I had it set to my IP address (with my router set as port 80 forwarding to my server)...
    anyway, now I figured I may as well just redirect people to shovenose.dyndns.org because that will work even if my IP address changes (IP updater software for dyndns installed on my web server)..

but now my friend in china is having trouble accessing it. Yet when I go to shovenose.com in a proxy on my PC, or on my smartphone, it works fine no problems and redirects me to shovenose.dyndns.org without issues.
    Here is the link can you tell me whether it is working or not?
    http://shovenose.com/

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What is happening is the dns servers can take 72 hours... Maybe more to update globally.. I've seen changes take as long as a week to completely propogate to china... Especially dns changes to dynamic dns services... if their ISP is caching their dns... It could take longer still.

Typically... Dns changes will happen in 24 hours here in the US... But most Of the core dns servers here update hourly.. Sub ( ISP dns serves ) update 4-6 times a day from the cores...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've also seen time delays between domains using "www" vs no "www". Be patient.
    Shirley Lund
    www.LundandLund.net
    Next Door Service Around the World

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Lol OK does it work yet?
    Thanks!

Oh and Patience is not something I posess...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The non "www" version loaded, but the "www" is still not loading.
    Shirley Lund
    www.LundandLund.net
    Next Door Service Around the World

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hang on, that's misleading. The non-www and www versions are not affected by propagation, except in the rare occasions where the non-www is different than the www version. And in your particular case, there's a www. version of shovenose.com, but not shovenose.dyndns.org since that's a subdomain.

Both the non-www and www versions of shovenose.com redirect to shovenose.dyndns.org.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If there is a difference between non www and www versions, that is strictly on you ISP caching scenario...

Since www has an @ pointer on the dns server... It resolves to the same address at the same time... Every time and propagation across the globe for the domain name only.. Not the pointers... So once the core dns servers get the update... The pointer doesn't need to be updated only the domain name to ip address is updated...

Local ISP on the other hand may do a dns update... But if they don't flush their cache as often as they update their dns... Then remnants of the old ip address may hang around and be served up...

Also... Your local machine caches domains... And it could be coming from ther as well... Depending on how often your ISP allows you machine to request previously accessed records

This is normally not even an issue... As most ISPs flush their caches at least daily... And your machine flushes it's cache every time you reboot ...

The ONLY way to avoid this confusion is to use one of the handful of core dns servers that are updated every hour... But access to them is controlled to authenticated connections...

Then again... Just keep in mind... If you change a DNS RECORD out in the wild... It can take on average 72 hours for that change to appear to the majority of people.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I think it works OK now. I tried it from work both www and non-www worked. Thanks for the help everyone!

Remove Ads