Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 214405
    I'm more of a fan of CoreFTP that way. I can do the same thing (highlight certain folders or files) and more importantly I can tell it to only upload files that are newer than the ones on the server (i.e. folders/files that have changed or are new). Big time/bandwidth saver.
    Filezilla does that as well - there are lots of upload options: Overwrite if source newer, overwrite if different size, overwrite if source newer or different size, skip, and rename. You can decide to always use the option you choose, or to apply the option only to the current queue. Also in the upload pane, it will show you the two files - source and server, and give you the path, filesize and the time and date created, for each one, so you can compare them.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks everyone, For the most part I use Dreamweaver to get an idea of what my Pages will look like while working and handcoding my HTML and CSS and Game had said Handcoding is the way to go and there isn't a debate. and After working with Dreamweaver and really pulling my hair out more trying to find how to use the tools than if I tried to get Jquery and if I've been going nuts on trying to figure out where to find behavior to make things work.... I know what Ronald Roe stated here will haunt me to my web designers Grave.

Like GAME said, if you code it yourself, you know how it works, and you'll spend a lot less time pulling your hair out when it does break...and it will break.
    I've also picked up a book on JavaScript that recommends using Jquery, the same author as the Dreamweaver book I have( Missing Manual Series: Author of Both is David Sawyer McFarland)

And as far as The UoP and any other education through them, I'm dropping it and working on learning individual coding languages and going through certifications for them.
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nice...Ronald got into your brain. He's also absolutely right...no matter how well you code or think you code, something you built will break at some point. This is an inevitability. And you won't get any real help from anyone as far as what happened. This means that solving the problem is going to be entirely up to you, and no book, tutorial, forum, or anything else is likely to help you. So you might as well work on your code skills.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris82, post: 214444
    Thanks everyone, For the most part I use Dreamweaver to get an idea of what my Pages will look like while working and handcoding my HTML and CSS and Game had said Handcoding is the way to go and there isn't a debate. and After working with Dreamweaver and really pulling my hair out more trying to find how to use the tools than if I tried to get Jquery and if I've been going nuts on trying to figure out where to find behavior to make things work.... I know what Ronald Roe stated here will haunt me to my web designers Grave.
    As an alternative to DW, if what you want is to visually check pages as you code, try HTML Kit - it has a preview pane that is better than the one in DW for positioning. Version 292 is a free download.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    @AlphaMare: Dreamweaver has a much nicer interface than HTML-Kit 292 (what I've used)...
    It's much easier and more intuitive

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 214456
    As an alternative to DW, if what you want is to visually check pages as you code, try HTML Kit - it has a preview pane that is better than the one in DW for positioning. Version 292 is a free download.
    I don't believe I mentioned anything about the interface in HTML Kit - but truthfully I don't notice the interface much - I am more interested in the pages I am coding.

I have several reasons I dislike DW - and they started long before I started to post here.

1. DW generates all kinds of redundant code
    2. DW generates poor HTML
    3. DW-generated javascript code and can and often does cause a site to break if it is altered
    4. DW templates are infuriatingly difficult to edit once saved
    5. DW does not position things accurately in design view

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I don't know about the newer versions of DW... I've been using DW since v 2.0 and am still using DW MX... but in code view only...

I agree with every point of AM's post as to what DW does to code... DW MX has a CRAPPY display of CSS... but again... I don't use display view... and when I started on CSS... I pretty much quit turning on the display view... but I do have all the HOT keys programmed to open the current page in the different browsers that I test in...

The only reason I've not given up on DW... is that it's comfortable... and it's easy to manage many projects from 1 place.... At work... all of the apps that I created ( beta and production )...+100 are easily accessible... and the synch function is always nice... to see what someone else may have changed on the server since the last time I was working on a project...at home... I create a new login for each major client... and all the DW projects are visible under that login only... but all my scriptlets are in one location available to all logins and makes new development pretty quick.... and backup, recovery, synch.... are all jsuta few buttons and done...

As with any software... there is usually a lot of functionality that goes unused... I am by no means a power user of DW... but never was a fan of the "generated" code... although pretty stable... very bloated...

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I agree with Webzarus. I started learning how to build basic websites on DW through a school club. Now I'm working on bigger projects with it. I still use DW because I'm comfortable with it and I'm used to how it works. I just use the coding view, but it is still useful.

As far as I see, anyone who uses DW started out using it at the beginning. Others who don't, most likely used notepad or other programs when just starting out.

This "debate" is purely on opinion. It will never be settled because no one will change what they think about it. It's like trying to decide which food tastes better than any other food in the world. You can't solve that debate because people think differently.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Something cool that the latest version of DW(5.5) does is assist you in creating CSS layouts for desktop, tablet and phone simultaneously (which is useless). The code is completely generated by you and it gives you a visual representation on particular platforms that you handcraft yourself.

As far as the generated JS and HTML. It contains more comments than code and is literally a forest of text at first glance. As Blackhawk095 mentioned this debate will never be settled,I am aware of some very successful designers, front-end developers and Flash gurus that still use DW from the MX version to the current. Most beginners gravitate to the design view because it helps with everything. However, it is not for the Vets. Besides, what would you rather start with if you need to complete a project and you are limited in knowledge; DW or (lol) Frontpage. Take your pick, disaster awaits (lol)...

BTW: The title should be hand coding vs. WYSIWYG. The truth is the design view is just one aspect of DW. Think about all the wonderful and completely useless features it comes with and you have no use for.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    MS scrapped FrontPage in favor of Expression Web....which is equally useless.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads