Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have a school project where we have to make a website for a client with a real-life issue (eg a business, organisation, etc.). And one of the requirements is to use a variety of resources like questionnaires, surveys, telephone interviews, emails, etc. for researching. Right now I'm at the stage where I'm starting to develop my final solution. I need to decide whether to stick with the old, stable XHTML or go with the new, hyped up HTML5 (leaning towards HTML5). I need your help guys. Here is my survey:

Software Usage at Work (Survey)

Please fill in this survey.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Done.

You don't have an "I don't know" for your second-to-last question, and your last question refers to "I don't know" as a possible answer. You might want to fix that.

As far as the question goes, I'd stick with XHTML. I don't think IE9 will really penetrate the market all that quickly, especially with all of the users still on XP and variants thereof. XHTML is safe.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Done.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    What Game said - HTML5 is fun but XHTML is the most compatible as yet.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    This is a class project and you are studying web design (development) - I say go with HTML5. It is not hyped, just miss understood. You still write your HTML like you would with XHTML. Exception, instead using divs you actually use tags that make sense (semantic, outline algorithm). This is where web development is heading. You can find a number of tools out there like selectivizr, css3pie and Modernizr that will prevent IE from breaking your site. Most importantly, test yourself, write your markup in a fashion that will degrade nicely in older browsers.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 214664
    This is a class project and you are studying web design (development) - I say go with HTML5. It is not hyped, just miss understood. You still write your HTML like you would with XHTML. Exception, instead using divs you actually use tags that make sense (semantic, outline algorithm). This is where web development is heading. You can find a number of tools out there like selectivizr, css3pie and Modernizr that will prevent IE from breaking your site. Most importantly, test yourself, write your markup in a fashion that will degrade nicely in older browsers.
    I was under the impression that this is supposed to be a "real-life" example of a site.

That said, look at what was emphasized in class - did you get a lot of XHTML and only a little HTML5?
    Does your teacher prefer one or the other?

If it were me, I would still go with the safest method (XHTML).
    But if you want to go with HTML5, do as DanExcell advises and spend a little time researching and understanding selectivizr and modernizr, which use javascript libraries to actually add classes to tags to emulate CSS3 for IE.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    The only issue I ever had with using HTML5 in IE 7 and 8 is well none. CSS3 is the only thing that runs into problems with border radius, gradient and more advance features. The scripts I mentioned above will help you with those issues (with little to no learning curve). Yes, XHTML is the safe bet I suppose, but some of us are progressive thinkers.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 214679
    The only issue I ever had with using HTML5 in IE 7 and 8 is well none. CSS3 is the only thing that runs into problems with border radius, gradient and more advance features. The scripts I mentioned above will help you with those issues (with little to no learning curve). Yes, XHTML is the safe bet I suppose, but some of us are progressive thinkers.
    Ouch. I guess I'm just an old fogey, regressive thinker.

I have worked with HTML5 and CSS3, which as you say, runs into problems with IE (it can also run into problems with the older gecko-based browsers). This may not be a consideration if you are developing for a very tech-savvy market who are using the latest versions of browsers, but that is too often not the case. In my opinion, having to use scripts to work around those problems is not real progress, we've been having to use IE workarounds and hacks for years.

I will use the most appropriate solution for whatever the site requires, whether it is XHTML, CSS, HTML5, CSS3, PHP and MySQL, hand-coded javascript or a library like jQuery, even an open-source solution such as Word Press, or any combination that gives the site the look and functionality required to deliver the content to the user in the best way.

This is a school project, and perhaps that allows the luxury of setting up a best-case scenario for the site, but in real life that seldom happens. Use whatever you're comfortable with, but remember - the main reason for creating a site is to deliver the content to the user.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    If it was a real client I would go with XHTML unless the client request HTML5. For school, why not test your mettle.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Because the idea is to simulate a real-life website (at least that's how I interpreted it). That, and schools aren't exactly known for forward thinking. You start throwing HTML5 at your prof, you're likely to get an F because the prof has no idea what (s)he's looking at.
    AlphaMare and m3n0tu18 like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads