Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am creating sitemap for my site.
    I am able to generate it in XML format using online tools.

But, to apply styling to it, I believe XSL will be needed OR can it be done by CSS ?

Hosting Platform is Linux without Java support.
    And I am not sure that my web hosting provider suppports XSL..

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Why would you need to format an XML sitemap? The only real purpose of a sitemap is for search engines to quickly and easily find pages in your site, and it's almost redundant if you have a decent enough navigation structure.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    it's almost redundant if you have a decent enough navigation structure.
    I agree with you on redundancy.

What I am looking for is an index for whole site which can be quite big..
    Since sitemap already has that index, I was trying to just convert it to HTML and add styling to it..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So basically a user sitemap? I haven't done this myself, but XSL would be the way to go, since CSS won't really work for what you have in mind.

Alternatively, if you have some form of a server-side language (e.g. PHP, ASP), you can read and parse the XML that way and spit it out.

Again, though, if it's that big and complex, a sitemap isn't really going to solve that. Users generally don't visit them...they want to use the navigation of the site to get to where they want to go.
    fortm likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    thanks thegame, yeah i was looking for an HTML sitemap , a user sitemap with direct access to most important pages of the website
    I found on net, there are some online generators that can create HTML sitemaps. will give it a try..

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You can style XML with CSS, but it doesn't work in IE without Javascript, which defeats the purpose, I guess. Other than that, XSL, which I've never bothered to learn, is the way to go. w3schools has an article for it.
    fortm likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    what I've seen and heard and experienced... depending on the market for the site... and size of the site... a proper sitemap can be useful and is used a lot by some users...

I've found that technical and engineering related information sites tend see a lot of usage of the sitemap... if the site is less than 10-15 pages... or if the information is not technical in nature... the sitemap is a pretty lonely page...

I manage one site that is pretty technical in nature... 100+ pages... 3000+ page views daily... the sitemap is accessed around 50 times a day.... by actual visitors.... each search engine indexes it at least once a week.... but I was actually surprised just how active the page is...

I use an ASP script I wrote years ago... that goes through... crawls every page and folder... and re-writes the html sitemap every time I make changes to any content on the site... actually a pretty neat script... that I modified and also use for the site search tool...

I've put sitemaps on pretty much every other type of site that I've done or done work on... but it's mainly for the search engines... as it is rarely requested by a visitor...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    if you have an XML file.... you can use javascript to parse it out... use CSS to style it... then save the output as the sitemap.html ( static page ).... that users and search engines can access.

only done that once before on a users site that was on a linux machine...

I think I found a javascript XML parser on hotscripts.com ??? been a while so just not sure

Member #
    thanks webzarus. i am going to check in hotscripts.com for the java script..

using java script to get this done looks only feasible option as I confirmed there is no XSLT support with my hosting service provider in my rate plan..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude...unless you're on a free host, you should be able to get at least basic support for databases and/or server-side programming languages for what you're likely paying.

Who's your host?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads