Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    How would you rate Visual Studio against an app like RoR (Ruby on Rails) or the Zend Framework (generally for web development, not true OOP). People generally tend to rag on MS and their products even if its not warranted. Sometimes that can get in the way of learning something useful. What is your take on choosing MS over open source and vice versa.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I personally don't care as long as it does the job I'm trying to do.

I haven't done anything with Ruby or the Zend framework, because the .NET framework does what I need/want it to do. I've built a couple of apps (for myself) with VS2010 and it was pretty easy with the code libraries I made (even built myself an automated biller on New Year's Day).

Visual Studio wouldn't be what I'd use for development, though. I'm all about another tool from the MS line, Visual Web Developer 2010. Intellisense + global find/replace + syntax highlighting = all kinds of awesome.

I use the very odd open source tool for things I don't consider to be of a critical nature, like say FTP (FileZilla) and Notepad++ for batch file creation/editing. But when it comes to the actual development side, I wouldn't touch any of the open source code stuff out there with a 10-foot pole.

As I've said before, I think the whole argument for/against MS or any other company is silly. Evaluate based on the tool itself, not your opinion of the creator.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    When I first wrote this thread it was a little different; I mentioned how I took a VB visual basic class and was bias towards it for being MS based. As time progress, I found it to be kind of easy, but I had a problem with no closing tags on statements. Other than that, it was me that stood in my own way of learning VB simply because IE6 and a butt load of other issues have been torturing me as a designer for years.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've never been bothered by no closing tags myself. I personally prefer it since it's closer to English than say C#. I also grew up on a programming language called Turing, and it's pretty similar in nature.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I think it generally depends on your end goal... if you're looking for suggestions on which to focus on for a career direction.... Then I say both have their benefits... As the more you know... The more opportunities will be available...

I've been around since ASP... was the new kid on the block... Dabbled in PHP...JavaScript...and am now forced ( kinda ) ... Into asp.net ... Perl and python... Were a hobby for a while... But have since moved to the back ...

My only problem with anything open source... So many out there learn one thing... Know it well... But then limit their clients.. even going so far as to slam other technologies ... But have no knowledge of them... But in fact... They are just trying tonpush their clients into something they know... Instead of actually taking the time to learn something new...

Was talking to an "aspiring" designer last night... Extolling the greatness of wordpress... And how his entire business model is based on wordpress customizations... I encouraged him to look at some php training... He was like... Don't need it...

Since he's a really good graphics guy... I told him in all honesty... When his business crashes... Call me... I might have some graphics work for him...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Exactly, Webzarus. There are many different things I've had to learn on the fly. I openly tell clients now when I'm doing something I haven't before, and they don't even care. I don't see the point in limiting myself to what I'm "comfortable" with, because how else am I going to get comfortable with something unless I do it or use it?

I've had to learn several things, some web-design-related, some non-web-design-related, along the way. And I'm damn glad I did, because it gives me both knowledge and advancement in perspective.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 215589

Was talking to an "aspiring" designer last night... Extolling the greatness of wordpress... And how his entire business model is based on wordpress customizations... I encouraged him to look at some php training... He was like... Don't need it...
    Thinking that way is equivalent to having a slow leak in your life jacket in the middle of the (web) ocean and you don't know how to (code) swim.

Remove Ads