Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I have been working on an engineering/tech website for my school. I have all of the pages ready. Now, I'm playing around with colors to see what looks better than before. I have a week until school starts, so that is how long I have until I post it.

Below, I have 4 designs with different color schemes for the CONTENT AREA. In the screenshots, I placed my mouse over one of the links in the left nav so you can see what it looks like on hover. Please pick what you think looks best. If you have any other suggestions for the design, feel free to post them.

Here are the designs (they are labeled by the color of the content area's background):

#fff:

#ccc:

#363636:

#363636 (with border separating left nav from content area):

If you have seen this website before, you may notice that I am not using the jQuery navigation. I have decided to make this website 100% mine, and not use any online scripts. In the process of creating these new designs, the font changed. That has slightly distorted the "Introduction" and "News" boxes. They should have the same height. The font I will be using is in the original design.

If you would like to see the original design, follow this link:
    http://my-testing-area.netne.net/Engineering_Tech_Index.php
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    #1. Best use of contrast.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Agreed. #1

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    #1 is the obvioius choice
    #2 would be good also, if you used a lighter grey and black text. Especially on the titles.
    I'm an art director crossing paths between print and web design.
    http://www.ballardstudio.com

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    #2, it fits in the best.
    Why did you decide to make the site 100% yours? I loved the nav you had. Is this for ethical or legal reasons?
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I'm in a school club called TSA (Technology Student Association). In this club, I compete in regional, state, and national competitions. I'm going to enter this website into this upcoming year's competitions.This website will definitely make it to nationals. I don't want to be disqualified for having scrips that aren't mine.

Here is a brief description of the competition:

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Webmaster Participants (one team of three to five members per chapter) are required to design, build and launch a World Wide Web site that features the schoolís career and technology education program, the TSA chapter, and the chapterís ability to research [/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]topics pertaining to technology. Conference semifinalists participate in an on-site interview to demonstrate the knowledge and expertise gained during the development of the website with an emphasis on Internet and web history, web design (school, chapter and design brief pages), and research about cutting edge advances in technology.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]It goes into more detail. MY team has to DESIGN and BUILD a website. Using another person's scripts is a grey area on the BUILD part.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk095, post: 216464
    I'm in a school club called TSA (Technology Student Association). In this club, I compete in regional, state, and national competitions. I'm going to enter this website into this upcoming year's competitions.This website will definitely make it to nationals. I don't want to be disqualified for having scrips that aren't mine.

Here is a brief description of the competition:

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Webmaster Participants (one team of three to five members per chapter) are required to design, build and launch a World Wide Web site that features the schoolís career and technology education program, the TSA chapter, and the chapterís ability to research [/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]topics pertaining to technology. Conference semifinalists participate in an on-site interview to demonstrate the knowledge and expertise gained during the development of the website with an emphasis on Internet and web history, web design (school, chapter and design brief pages), and research about cutting edge advances in technology.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]It goes into more detail. MY team has to DESIGN and BUILD a website. Using another person's scripts is a grey area on the BUILD part.[/COLOR]
    yeah, I understand now. Good luck in the competitions!
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Good luck? He doesn't need luck. He's gonna go kick some *** with our help.
    Blackhawk095 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Web design isn't really 'big" in the area I live in. The Regional and state competitions are easy. At state last year, half of my competition used templates and got disqualified for not BUILDING and DESIGNING their own websites. Anyone who actually built their websites, obviously had no idea how to do it because my 7 year old brother could design a better website. The national competition is where all of the real competitors are.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's pretty similar here. If there ever were design/development competitions, half the people would be knocked out for template/script use. There's a real knowledge gap here in the Greater Toronto Area. Not sure if it would go as far as provincial, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads