Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have been freelancing for 7+ years and I really like it. I started off doing small one-time jobs for people on freelancing sites, and now I have 3 large and steady clients whom I love. I really like my career and I did not find it super hard to break into. I got my web master certification online from a local college here in MN.

-What do you do in an avg days work? I wake up and do stuff with my kids. Check email and get to my client requests. Eat snacks. Make snacks for my kids or maybe go to the park for a bit. Then I do any scheduled or on-going tasks for them. Make dinner and that's about it. I could work more but with the kids home it can be challenging so I work about 10-15 hours a week on average.

-What's it like being a web designer for a company? No clue, I have always been freelance.
    -Job Market? There are tons of jobs out there. This is an expanding market for sure.
    -What is the avg pay? The average here in MN right now is probably $90 per hour. I work virtually for my clients and need to compete with lower prices so I charge $60 per hour. I used to charge less just for small jobs and what not because other people will say they will do it for $5 so you have to compete with that for a while until someone sees the value of you personally and likes working with you. Once you get off the freelancer sites you can charge a more respectable rate. I never went below $30 per hour though.

Hope that helps!!
    George Dolidze likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    If you go too low, the clients might think you're just a cheap designer with no skills, so take that into account too.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads