Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    well...

I have some ideas to creat a website to connect random people all over the world
    (I know its sounds exactly like omegle.com or chatroulette.com....but its nothing like omegle.com or chatroulette.com)

I'm looking to hire someone to create my website...but I'm really lost

Anyway, I just want to know what kind of programmer should I hire
    -which language should he know
    -strengths he should have
    etc etc...
    also: in which language would you do it (phyton, java, perl,etc...)
    also2: and if you guys have any tip, it would be amazing

thanks for your atention

edit: sorry about my grammar, I'm not an anglophone

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think, you shouldn't worry about what languages a programmer can code in but talk to a few programmers and state your idea and see what they suggest and the pricing for something like that.
    People sometimes underestimate the work that goes into systems like that. The programmers might have to write a whole program or app for that, which can be very expensive.
    If you want a place to start, I will message you an address where you can start.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Janja has a point...a programmer can use any language(s) necessary to do the job. As far as tips go, it would really depend on your site idea, and chances are you'd have to share more than you're comfortable with.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I can help you design the website, if you're still in need of help

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't think he was actually looking to hire from here as such, but I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt here where I normally wouldn't because the post is somewhat ambiguous in that regard.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by stuball, post: 216523
    I can help you design the website, if you're still in need of help
    Thanks a lot, but I prefer to hire someone next to where I live... so we can do it side by side.

I have the design of the web and I just need someone that is able to make it happen.

But I'm not rich so I cant give someone 3000 bucks to do it.
    All I can do is to give *some* money to the programmer and also the 30% of the income on the advertising for a year

I think its a good deal.

*omegle.com makes between 30.000$ and 40.000$ per year...even with half of that would still be a good deal*

What do you guys think about it?

Edit: thanks again and sorry about my grammar

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Is that a revenue statement or a profit statement? If so, who made that statement? And what happens if the site goes bust and ends up being a loss?

At least in your case, though, a partnership could work out because of the physical proximity. I wouldn't dream of taking on a partnership agreement with someone I couldn't meet.

Member #
    well...if the site ends up being a loss, I've wasted some money and the programmer some time.

TheGAME1264, how much will you charge me for a website like omegle.com? (honestly)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Since it's got video and chat and I have no experience with either...probably quite a bit. This sounds backwards, but it would take me quite a bit of time to learn how to build things like that, and I wouldn't be able to take on anything else.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's all going to depend on your resources to make this thing happen, and profitable. (financial resources)

What you are talking about could not be run on a shared hosting platform ( I don't think you'll find a hosting provider that would allow you that much server resources on a shared machine ), so you're already looking at a dedicated server, might be able to start there, but IF the site does take off,you're looking at multiple machine for the different functions...

Many of the big sites are designed and built on Python, but that's because if you know what you're doing with python, it can make direct memory request for processor intensive portions, ( something you won't be able to do on a shared machine ), and release the memory quickly to allow those resources to be used for multiple request.

You might be able to start out on a shared platform, but as soon as your resources exceed the hosting providers limits, they will shut you down ( which is not a good thing for a site that is trying to get started ), fastest way to loose a growing following, is to have the site go down for a couple of weeks while you try and find a hosting provider to run the site on. I've seen that way too many times.

So a couple hundred bucks a month for a virtual server and enough bandwidth to grow with to start, about 5 times that for a marketing blitz, ( how else are you gonna get people there? ), a list server to handle marketing and mailing request I really don't think what kind of without getting the whole site blacklisted, a programmer is irrelevant if you don't have the $$$ just to setup a decent hosting account that is not going to bogg down when you get more than 3 people on the site.

BTW... this is the 3rd Great New Idea for a web based company that I have heard today, and the 3rd time, I've explained about cost for just the basics to get the site up and running and at least the 2nd time today, that the person with the great Idea had NO IDEA about the cost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads