Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have noticed my javascript heavy site doesn't load on IE7 and is all sorts of FUBAR on IE6. Does anyone even design for these anymore??? and if I do need to fix this...any advise?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't anymore, and no. As much as I was okay with IE6 at the time, it's had its run and now it's done.

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

Everything you need to know is right there.
    shovenose and Ronald Roe like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    VERY helpful. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I like to keep my site looking mostly right on IE7 and up. I say IE7 only because I haven't yet run into a page breaking on 7 that didn't also break in 8, which is still in use just enough to be a pain in the ***. I did, just today, have a design break in 9 that looked fine in 6-8...weird.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    My suggestions to clients on wether to support a design for IE6,7,8 etc.

Look at your log files to determine how your visitors are accessing your site, if you have 1000 visitors a day and 10% of them are using IE6( or whichever version ), are you willing to turn away 100 potential customers? Your log files can help you make that decision.

I have clients that still get > 30% traffic on IE 7 and 10% on IE 6, but I also have clients that get > 90% of their traffic from chrome, FF and Safari, so they made the decision to not make desgin support for IE 6 a priority.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    This is an interesting subject I simply can't pass up. Some designer, very good and well noted designers completely ignore any and every version of IE, because they have a strong following and they can (for their personal sites anyway). However, they don't have that same attitude towards work for their clients. At the present, I only go as far as IE7.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I am a huge IE hater. I steer every one of my clients away from it. I hate it...a lot. I do *not* try to get cross browser functionality with it at all. With the exception of one hearing aid retailer in Hawaii who is hooked on it I never check it. I hate it...I really do.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Wether you personally or your clients like or dislike IE has nothing to do with it.

What you are in a sense doing, is limiting the visitors to the site. If the site is not at least designed to show a text version of the site, to anyone visiting with IE ( btw... Over 50% on average of all Internet browsing is done in an IE browser ).

Just wondering if you look at your log files, to see how many missed opportunities your clients have had?

Several of my best clients came to me because their former designer had told them that they didn't need to worry about the little traffic they get from IE. Except when the business owners mother, sister, cousins etc... Ask them what's up with their site... That it doesn't look right, or they can't see anything at all when they visit thes site.

I design with the "clean" browser approach... Test with what comes on a computer new, and don't require the visitor to install anything.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    This reminds me of a situation involving three comedians; one claimed the other used to much profanity and the third asked the accused "do people laugh when you tell your jokes"? He agreed. Do you get paid? He agreed. He then told him to tell the accuser to shut the F up and have a coke and smile.

This situation with IE is a little more complicated. We are living in the Western world, where it is actually advised to cater to other people's ignorance. All I can say is, if you are doing well and have never given IE a thought, keep doing what works for you.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    We are living in the Western world, where it is actually advised to cater to other people's ignorance.
    I don't, I educate.

a short story on IE6

A major airline flying out of your area, was paying a design firm to upgrade their booking section on their site... Airlines usually save millions of dollars a year by having online booking options.

The functionality worked as planned, but they did not test for IE6 as IE7 it had been available for about 6 months. The day after the upgrade, the call centers stated getting flooded with calls about people not being able to connect to the booking section.

It took several days to track down the issue because the developers were all testing and using IE7 to try and re-create the issues, but couldn't see any problems. Once they determined it was a browser issue, they told the call centers to tell customers complaining about the site to upgrade their browsers. They even had a pop up window on the site informing users that they had to upgrade to IE7 to book flights.

To make a really long story short... it took 9 weeks, an extra 100 lines of CSS code and a couple of extra divs on their core code to make the site IE6 compliant.

The last I heard, the airline estimates that they lost upwards of 8 million in sales because this design firm DID NOT account for IE6 users, The design firm is no longer in business. And there is a lawsuit against all the principles of the design company for negligence.

I don't think these guys are doing well by ignoring IE6.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads