Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey guys. I'm working on my first CSS design layout. (I'm used to using tables to piece everything together)
    I had a design put together with tables, but after learning the right way with CSS I'm starting over.
    Either way-
    There doesn't seem to be much to put on the home page for this place. (I'm making something for an apartment complex) I'm not sure if I should simply link to a photos page as well as a floorplan page. Maybe a contact page as well. I thought maybe I could make an expandable/collapsible tree to give details and an image on the floorplans. I even considered having the floorplans open their own window, where I would set a size for the window, but I'm not even sure how to do that or if it would even be 'kosher' for lack of a better word at the moment.
    Right now I'm setting up the page with some welcome/intro text, and have the floorplan header with some text and that's about it. My previous design just placed the contact info right at the bottom as a footer.
    The homepage just seems so small and plain with so little on it, but I don't want to necessarily cram everything onto it either.

Any advice?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sounds like you need more content from the apartment complex.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What he said, any business should be able to provide enough content about their location, what they have to offer, the benefits of doing business with the, etc. To fill up at least the home page. Forget the about us page and use that on the front.

This is also where I encourage them to put their address and phone number on every page. For this particular type of business, getting the contact information where anyone looking in a high visibility location ( top right and bottom ) will provided visitors this information so they don't have to look for it.

Another growing trend I'm seeing in sites that benefit from lots of enquiries would be a small " contact us "' form on the right side of every page.. Requiring only basic information. Keep the full blown contact us page, but I've seen an uptick in basic questions being asked like in your case ( do you have any studio apartments available )... Yes, you may have floorplans listed somewhere, but a lot of people will ask questions instead of looking. That's when a return email would provide the answer and a direct link back to the page on the site that has the information. You'd also provie a direct link back to the full blown contact us page if they have further questions, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 216752
    What he said, any business should be able to provide enough content about their location, what they have to offer, the benefits of doing business with the, etc. To fill up at least the home page. Forget the about us page and use that on the front.

This is also where I encourage them to put their address and phone number on every page. For this particular type of business, getting the contact information where anyone looking in a high visibility location ( top right and bottom ) will provided visitors this information so they don't have to look for it.

Another growing trend I'm seeing in sites that benefit from lots of enquiries would be a small " contact us "' form on the right side of every page.. Requiring only basic information. Keep the full blown contact us page, but I've seen an uptick in basic questions being asked like in your case ( do you have any studio apartments available )... Yes, you may have floorplans listed somewhere, but a lot of people will ask questions instead of looking. That's when a return email would provide the answer and a direct link back to the page on the site that has the information. You'd also provie a direct link back to the full blown contact us page if they have further questions, etc.
    Any recommendations on adding a small custom form like you're talking about? I was wanting to do that but I have not used forms before and need to learn that. Any javascript free ways?

Remove Ads