Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there,
    in various blogs you can always read that sometimes we should say "no" to clients.

I actually have a client which wanted to work with us and has ask us for various calculation. It were a big project arround 3.000 usd. (I dont know how it is in the UK but here in Mexico it is a quite big budget).

The problem was that he has ask us for various calculation and after every single calculation (you know that they can took really some work time) he asked for changings and new features. So it seems like the client had no idea of the website that he wanted exactly and after hundrets of emails, where we tried to explain him, that every change in the basic concept of the website will need a complete new calculation,we decided to not work with him because it seems like we would have many trouble during the project.

My question is. How do you say "no" in an acurrate form and without being disrespectful without lying to the client?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well, if it's no to working with them I normally just tell them that it's "Not a good fit."
    If it's no to a request for their site I will educated them about the changes they are wanting. I let them know upfront if it will take a lot of time or expense to do it. If they don't care then I go ahead with the work, even if it makes no sense to me. If they do care or are on a tight budget and they are being picky I let them go and tell them it's not a good fit. If they have tons of $$$ and don't question the bill then I will basically do everything they want me to do and just keep the meter running.

Some times it is frustrating when a client keeps asking for changes, especially if you really like your work and feel any attachment to it. But it is money. As long as they are paying you I would say just keep working away.
    DanExcell likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I think alott simplier to just quote the changes.. like
    Your last quote was 3000usd
    he ask a change, reply to his email, that it will cost an addition of Xusd . Thid way you will see if he cares or not about the final cost, if he does care, then he will either..
    -stop asking for changes and give you the go ahead for the initial "plan"
    -cancel the whole project althogether (wich is quite probable as eh will try to find someone else to play with)
    -or just aknoledge the cost in his next reply.

Any of the above options seems good considering you are already thinking of not working for him anyway.
    DanExcell likes this.
    My site? oh here--->www.host4go.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    contract, contract, contract... I work up a project cost estimate and a wire frame along with incorporating whatever they want. Once that is complete, we have a meeting to sign a "scope of work" agreement and contract that basically and legally binds both of to specific responsibilities and actions. Also in the contract is the clause that covers "scope creep", which is basically all the "can we change this, or can we do that ".... it's covered, so when they call, I remind them that their request are not in the original "scope of work" agreement but it would be covered under the "billed per hour" section of the contract.

When it gets past the point of being about $$$, you tend to see things differently. And it's pretty evident in how you deal with clients.

I guess since I've been doing this so long, I'm kind of jaded when it comes to clients. I'm very picky about who I do business with and can generally weed out the ones I know will potentially be problems early on, usually within a couple of emails or phone conversations. I can usually back away from a "pesky" client by either inflating my prices WAY above what anyone else would consider doing the work for, or by simply saying " I have some many projects on the books right now, I would not be able to dedicate enough time to your account to provide the level of service you deserve.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    A client stiffed me on a bill once and it was like a relief for me literally. Not having to deal with the email and phone calls was actually a good thing. I would not work with that guy ever again and it was not like he didn't have the money, he was annoying and I might have let him know about it. Some designers prefer to make themes and templates as oppose to working with live clients. The income can be quite moderate at times, but they like it better than the alternative.

Every post above has very good points, its that unknown factor that you have to be prepared for.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Remove Ads