Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Hi all,

I'm new here. Just registered today. I am really glad to have found this site. It looks like a great resource.

I have been looking around for the answer to my question but haven't found anything so I hope you don't mind my posting it if it has already been addressed.

I have been doing websites for over a year now and truly love it. The first site I did was for a friend on WP and I did the site for free just to teach myself. I had the domain name and hosting put into his name so that when it comes time for renewal, he'd get the bill and he could pay it. The site is: www.martindesignqw.com.

I've since done a few more sites using both WP and Dreamweaver and have decided to set up my own little freelance side business. My question is, if I am in business for myself, should I own the hosting and domain name or does the client? Is this type of thing built into the price of a website? I have been asked to do two more sites so things are looking good but I want to have the business side organized. How do others do this?

Thanks.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Well, typically the client is in charge of the hosting account and paying for it. It's up to them to renew it. You just upload the site to their hosting account after they've paid you for the work and that's it.
    Alanna Baxter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    It depends really. Freelancers will tend to give ownership to the client, and perhaps now with all the CMS's that are freely available companies may see no point keeping ownership. However some larger companies I know, such as KD Web do maintain ownership and so get a constant income for maintenance and such.

I'd base it on what your client wants. If they want you to build them a site and release it to them, then just hand over the domain and hosting etc. If you're to maintain the site and have a contract set out for this then you have control, and whenever they want a change to be made, you're gonna get paid for it.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I have them subscribe to the hosting/domain with their own credit card,
    then have them email me all of the account info that the webhost has sent them.

I've never had a problem where a client has refused to pay. Good communication is
    probably the most important thing. Don't do sites for any family members or close
    friends either.

Some of my clients have left me for someone else, months after I've done work for them.
    That's OK ... it's part of being a freelancer. If they email me later to check on a problem,
    or fix someone else's mistakes, I cheerfully help them out ... and charge them for work done.

Don't burn bridges, and don't bash other programmers that may have wrecked some of your scripting.
    The stress of doing those things isn't worth it. AlphaMare has some interesting experiences with
    "clients gone wild". Maybe she can entertain us with some stories.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 217864
    Some of my clients have left me for someone else, months after I've done work for them.
    That's OK ... it's part of being a freelancer. If they email me later to check on a problem,
    or fix someone else's mistakes, I cheerfully help them out ... and charge them for work done.

Don't burn bridges, and don't bash other programmers that may have wrecked some of your scripting.
    The stress of doing those things isn't worth it. AlphaMare has some interesting experiences with
    "clients gone wild". Maybe she can entertain us with some stories.

OMG - I'm still trying to forget that one...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Each and every client is different, some will want you to make all the decisions and/or help them make informed decisions as many have either not ever had a web site, or perhaps had one that was mis-managed and they were pretty much told "don't worry about it" only to get ripped a new one..

Others ( typically ones that have either done one in the past or has someone on staff with knowledge), may want to maintain as much control as they can get... meaning, they will manage the domain name registration, provide hosting etc...give you and FTP login, etc...

I personally have a reseller account for those that want to maintain as much control as they can get, but don't have anything setup yet, and I point them at that from the fact that I can ( if needed, provide some assistance in resolving any confusion in the registration or hosting decisions )...

For those that want me to make all the decisions for them I usually register their domain name under my company umbrella account, set them up some space on one of my servers and bill them a negotiated yearly or monthly fee ( granted a contract giving them complete ownership and transfer rights at any time that they are paid in full is signed and agreed to by both parties before this is done )

Then you'll have clients that want to hire you as a "work for hire" scenario, which in legal terms means all work you do for them belongs to them, so be careful, if you have some proprietary scripting or modules that you use and don't want them being leaked... don't use them in this scenario.

Occasionally you might get a client that want's you to work on "their servers", in which case you'll probably need to sign and NDA (non disclosure agreement) or something similar, which basically says if you disclose any information you may find while using accessing their servers, you probably won't be in business much longer.

As I said each and every client is different and you should have something in place to handle each scenario ( the more options you can give, the better service you can provide, and the more profits you can make )

If you have access to legal counseling, ask about some basic business contracts, if you don't have them many of your clients will, just remember, contracts are generally setup to protect whomever is offering them so signing each others contracts is a common practice before actual work begins.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To be honest every website that i have done with very few exceptions i have supplied the hosting and domain registration. For the first part hosting comes as part of the package, with regard to registration i know that avery year i have to renew this, most customers would have no idea.
    One point i would raise over CMS, as a designer you spend time and mney creating a proffesional design that you then put your name to. If your client through CMS turns that site into a mess who does it reflect on? the client or the footer that states website design by?
    Robert

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Thanks for all the feedback. It is much appreciated. The people I m dealing with know nothing about websites at all and/or don't want the hassle. When I talk to them about domain names and hosting you can see their eyes glaze over! The clients are friends so hopefully that won't be a problem. I'll do my best for them and if they are not happy and want to take it elsewhere there will be no hard feelings. I've made no claim to be an expert and my friends know that I am just starting out. But for simplicity I think I'll buy the domain name and hosting and have them reimburse me along with a deposit to start the work.

Thanks again.

Remove Ads