Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm having an issue with my site being different sizes or resolution in different browsers. Here is the url http://www.jabsgallery.info/ to the site im working on.

I'm on a mac and have been testing / viewing the site in both Firefox 6.0, and Safari 5.1 browsers. And as you might see yourself the site is much more magnified in Safari than Firefox, or at least that's what I c.
    Please let me know if you are seeing this as well or something else. And what browser you using and if your on either Mac or PC.

And than of coarse HOW DO I FIX THIS!? If you know or can think of any solutions.

Thanx a bunch

JAB

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    A couple of things to consider:
    1. Designing on a Mac is different than on other platforms. Why? Resolution. I've seen way too many sites look huge on my PC because they were designed on a Mac. And my laptop has a fairly high resolution.
    2. You are using flash in a very unnecessary way. There is nothing on your page that cannot be done with rudimentary HTML/CSS (yes, even the icons on the map). In Chrome, I see the whole site (which looks like it's zoomed in), but in IE, which I don't have Flash installed for, I can't see anything but the empty header and the left sidebar.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Hello.

it might be worth making your website only 1000px wide if you are going to have a fixed width site. This will enable the site to fit on all screen resolutions from 1024x up.

Alternately if you are looking for a site to auto expand when you open it in specific screen resolutions, look at Fluid web layout.

Hope these sorta help
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What Ronald said, macs do their own thing. I retired mine a long time ago mainly for that reason. But it goes in reverse as well, sites not designed with a specific CSS for macs suffer the " too small" for the screen syndroome. Ther is a happy medium, but it takes a lot of time moving between them both to get it right.

Flash is good in small doses, but you should always have a "non flash"'option... If you want your site to be found by search engines, you need to have your text where they can read it, not that they can't read flash, they just choose not to. If you don't care about search engines, think about all the mobile devices that can't play flash... I'm on one now, so I knew there was no point in looking.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I viewed your site using the latest version of Opera on a PC and it scaled properly for me. I viewed it on a 1920x1080 resolution monitor. I was a bit confused by the sidebar on the right, but once I saw it was linked to the Flash file in the center content area, I picked up on it. I did something like this in an earlier college class based on a lesson from an Adobe book on AC3. Now as to your issues with different browsers and different resolutions. The plain fact is that none of them interpret math the same way. What might be coded to display at 100% may actually appear to be 120% in a browser. IE7+ is good at doing this. Furthermore, CSS is also interpreted differently among the different browsers. I have a portfolio website I'm working on right now. The background image is coded to display at 100% width (meaning it will scale the width of any display resolution) and is in a fixed position (meaning that it won't move, but the rest of the website will as the reader scrolls down.) Now guess what, in IE7 32-bit, the code I have in place doesn't work. But in IE9 64-bit, it does.

If your website is looking over-magnified always check your Tools tab in whatever browser you're using at the time. In IEx, you can alter the way websites are displayed by using this method. The same applies to Opera, Firefox, and Safari. If all else fails, use the Ctrl - method to zoom out, or Ctrl + to zoom in method.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisHPZ, post: 218430
    I viewed it on a 1920x1080 resolution monitor.
    That's why it looked fine to you. It looks over-magnified on most other monitors because it was designed for really high resolution monitors.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yeah, when I view it on my 1920 x 1080 it looks OK - when I set the display to 1289 x 1024 it gets too big, and forget 1024 x 768...

You could do some research into what the most common monitor resolutions are -
    http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/best-screen-size/

Even though I have a fairly high-res monitor, I try to design for the most common resolution, and test in it, since that is what the visitors will likely be using.
    http://www.iteracy.com/resources/bui...of-a-web-page/
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Last I heard, 1366x768 is still the most common resolution to date. One thing I'd like to see more of is not so much designing websites with certain resolutions in mind, but cross-browser functionality. You know the more that CSS evolves, it seems the more certain browsers devolve. *cough*I*cough*E For my last college class I'm putting together a portfolio website in which part of it is live and my professor is having a hard time with it because she's using IE for Mac but I'm using among other things IE 64-bit for Windows. It's bad enough the my code doesn't validate. It's worse when there's certain things I want people to enjoy but they can't because certain browsers don't support the latest in CSS code, or even certain code from earlier versions of CSS. Maybe there's a book I can get that goes into explanation and implementation of all supported coding among the major browsers?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    That info is on w3schools. Also, I can't vouch for other IDE's, but Aptana tells you on the fly.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Who??!?!?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads